1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple integrals

1. Jun 29, 2003 #1

Dx

Compute triple integral f(x,y)dV given f(x,y,z)=2x+3y. T is the tetrahedron bounded by the coordinate planes and first octant part of the plane with equation 2x + 3y + z = 6.

how do i solve for this, can someone get me started halfway, plz?
    Dx

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2003 #2
    I dont know if you have solved this problem already, but here goes:

The first step you will want to do is draw two diagrams, one of the solid, and one projection of it on the x-y plane.

Then solve the equation for z (or x or y whichever is going to produce the easiest integral outcome).

In this case I would go for the z solution:
    z=2x+3y-6
    Then determine the axis intersections in order to find the integral limits.
    Set up your triple integral, solve.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2003
  4. Jun 30, 2003 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The "innermost" integral will be with respect to z (dz) and will have limits z= 0 to z= 6- 2x- 3y.

"projecting" down to the x,y plane (z= 0) gives the line where the plane 2x+ 3y+ z= 6 crosses the x,y plane: 2x+ 3y= 6. We need to integrate over the triangle with edges x=0, y=0, 2x+ 3y= 6.

Solving for y, y= 2- (2/3)x. The second integral will be with respect to y (dy) and will have limits y= 0 and y= 2-(2/3)x.

Finally, project to the x-axis itself. The line 2x+3y= 6 crosses the x-axis when y= 0: 2x= 6 or x= 3. The final integral will be with respect to x (dx) and will have limits x= 0, x= 3.

The triple integral you want is

integral (x=0 to 3) integral (y=0 t0 2-(2/3)x) integral (z= 0 to 6- 2x+3y)(2x+3y)dzdydx.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?