1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple integrals

1. Nov 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have this question about triple integrals and spherical coordinates

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/9343/81255254.th.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

y = [tex]\rho[/tex] sin [tex]\varphi[/tex] sin [tex]\theta[/tex]
    x = [tex]\rho[/tex] sin [tex]\varphi[/tex] cos [tex]\theta[/tex]
    z = [tex]\rho[/tex] cos [tex]\varphi[/tex]
    [tex]\rho[/tex]2 = z2 + y2 + x2

This is the way
    http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcIII/TISphericalCoords_files/eq0007MP.gif" [Broken]

Thus I need to find the limits of integration for [tex]\rho[/tex] [tex]\theta[/tex] and [tex]\varphi[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I used the limits for the z to obtain z2.
    Thus, z2 + x2 +y2 = 4
    Using the identity for [tex]\rho[/tex]2 = z2 + y2 + x2 then [tex]\rho[/tex]2 = 4
    which gives me a value of [tex]\rho[/tex] = 2.

To get [tex]\theta[/tex] I graphed the x limits of the integral. Since x = [tex]\sqrt{4-y2}[/tex] then x2 + y 2 =4. Therefore it is a circle of radius 2. Thus I assumed that [tex]\theta[/tex] goes from 0 to 2[tex]\pi[/tex].
    Now my problem is to find the limits for [tex]\varphi[/tex] which I don't know how to get.

Any ideas on how to solve for [tex]\varphi[/tex] and also, can someone double check that the other limits of integration are correct?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2009 #2
    How do you derive the spherical coordinates? You can find the ranges of [tex]\phi[/tex] in the definition of spherical coordinates, so study your book again! And the ranges for [tex]\rho[/tex] and [tex]\theta[/tex] are correct.

4. Nov 21, 2009 #3
    Can I use the limits of y to get [tex]\phi[/tex]. For instance since y = 4 then can I say
    [tex]\rho[/tex] sin [tex]\phi[/tex] sin [tex]\theta[/tex] = 4 so sin [tex]\phi[/tex] = [tex]\rho[/tex] / sin [tex]\theta[/tex]

Now I am stuck there. Do I plug in a value for [tex]\rho[/tex] and [tex]\theta[/tex]. For instance 2 for [tex]\rho[/tex] and 2pi for [tex]\theta[/tex]. That would give me an undefined answer and sin [tex]\phi[/tex] is always defined. Where do I go from here?
    Thank you for the quick response

5. Nov 21, 2009 #4
    Or since z2 +y2 + x2 = 4 is a sphere and spheres have a [tex]\phi[/tex] from 0 to [tex]\pi[/tex]. Can anybody double check that my limits of integration are correct?

Thank you

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  6. Nov 21, 2009 #5
    Yes your bounderies are now correct and I'm sure about that, because I have a similar example in my book with answer.

[tex]\rho[/tex] is between 0 to 2 and [tex]\theta[/tex] is between 0 to [tex]2\pi[/tex] and [tex]\phi[/tex] is between 0 to [tex]\pi[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook