1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple integrals

1. Mar 24, 2005 #1
    Find the mass of a ball B given by "x^2+y^2+z^2≤a^2" if the density at any point is proportional to its distance from the z-axis using cylindrical coordinates So is the density equal to K*sqrt(x^2+y^2), or K*r?

Using triple integral of f(rcosθ, rsinθ, z)*r*dz*dr*dθ) I got the following: the triple integral of K*r^2dz*dr*dθ, and the limits for the integral w/ respect to z being from -sqrt(a^2-x^2-y^2) to sqrt(a^2-x^2-y^2), which becomes -sqrt(a^2-r^2) to sqrt(a^2-r^2), limits w/ respect to r being from 0 to a and w/ respect to theta from 0 to 2*pi.

Doing it I find the integral very hard to integrate because I can't do u-subsititon with two r^2's.

Am I doing anythign wrong? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

U can very well use spherical coordinates.I'm sure the integration is immediate.

Daniel.

4. Mar 24, 2005 #3
    I can't. the stupid book asks us to use cylindrical coordinates.

Is my setup right though?

5. Mar 24, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why?What's the point...?Why is it hard to integrate...

[tex] M=k\int_{0}^{2\pi}d\varphi \int_{0}^{a}r^{2} \ dr \int_{-\sqrt{a^{2}-r^{2}}}^{+\sqrt{a^{2}-r^{2}}} \ dz [/tex]

I think it's trivial.

Daniel.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
  6. Mar 24, 2005 #5
    You forgot a r...in cylindrical coordinates you there's an extra r.

7. Mar 24, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're right,i edited.Then do it...It's not difficult.You can make a "sin/cos" substitution and solve it easily.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?