Triple Integration: Transform Equation to Spherical Coordinates

In summary, the homework statement is to transform the equation from cartesians coordinates to spherical coordinates. The attempt at a solution is confused by the integrand expression which is supposed to be dxdydz but is instead d^3x'~dx'~dy'~dz'. The electric field at position \vec{x} is caused by a charge distribution of gaussian shape and the potential is used to simplify the integration.
big_gie

Homework Statement

Transform the equation from cartesians coordinates to spherical coordinates.

Homework Equations

[tex]\int_\infty\int_\infty\int_\infty
exp\left\{
\frac{-\left| \vec{x'}-\vec{x}_0 \right|^2}{2 \sigma}
\right\}
\frac{\left( \vec{x} - \vec{x'} \right)}{\left| \vec{x} - \vec{x'} \right|^{3}} d^3x'
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused by the [tex]\vec{x}[/tex], [tex]\vec{x'}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{x}_0[/tex]... I know it can be done: nothing depends on the angle here, so I should just get something depending on [tex]\vec{r}[/tex].

Thank you for any hints...

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm equally confused by your integrand expression. It's supposed to be dxdydz isn't it? And what are the limits of your integration? And what does x' mean as both a scalar variable or vector function variable?

Hi Defennder, thanks for your reply.

Yes, [tex]d^3x'[/tex] is indeed [tex]dx'~dy'~dz'[/tex]: a volume element.

The integration is over infinity.

[tex]\vec{x'}[/tex] is the integration variable. It is a position vector [tex](x',y',z')[/tex].

Maybe I'll explain more the problem...

The integral is the electric field at position [tex]\vec{x}[/tex], caused by a charge distribution of gaussian shape:
[tex]\vec{E}\left(\vec{x}\right) =
k \int_{x'=-\infty}^{\infty} \int_{y'=-\infty}^{\infty} \int_{z'=-\infty}^{\infty}
\rho\left(\vec{x'}\right) \frac{\vec{x} - \vec{x'}}{\left| \vec{x} - \vec{x}'\right|^3} ~dx'~dy'~dz'[/tex]
[tex]
\rho\left(\vec{x}\right) & = & \rho_0 \exp\left(
-\frac{\left(\vec{x} - \vec{x_0}\right)^2}{2 \sigma^2}
\right)
[/tex]
where:
[tex]\vec{x}[/tex] is the position where the field is wanted;
[tex]\vec{x'}[/tex] is the integration variable;
[tex]\vec{x_0}[/tex] is the particle center;
[tex]\sigma[/tex] is the particle width.

I think I'll use the potential instead, for an easier integration:
[tex]\vec{E}\left(\vec{x}\right) = - \nabla \phi\left(\vec{x}\right)[/tex]
[tex]
\phi\left(\vec{x}\right) =
k \int_{x'=-\infty}^{\infty} \int_{y'=-\infty}^{\infty} \int_{z'=-\infty}^{\infty}
\rho\left(\vec{x'}\right) \frac{1}{\left| \vec{x} - \vec{x}'\right|} ~dx'~dy'~dz'
[/tex]

I've done a variable change for [tex]\vec{x} - \vec{x}'[/tex] but then I'm stuck in the gaussian...

Thanx for any hints.

(Sorry if any mistakes have slipped, I'm writting this from memory and it's getting late...)

1. What is triple integration?

Triple integration is a mathematical process used to find the volume of a three-dimensional region by breaking it down into infinitesimally small pieces and summing up their contributions.

2. Why would someone use triple integration in spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are often used in triple integration because they are well-suited for solving problems involving spherical or cylindrical symmetry, such as finding the volume of a sphere or a cone.

3. How do you convert an equation to spherical coordinates?

To convert an equation to spherical coordinates, you need to substitute the variables x, y, and z with their corresponding spherical coordinate expressions, which are r, θ, and φ. You may also need to use the Pythagorean theorem to convert expressions involving x and y to expressions involving r and θ.

4. What are the limits of integration in spherical coordinates?

The limits of integration in spherical coordinates depend on the shape and orientation of the region being integrated. Generally, the limits for r range from 0 to the radius of the region, the limits for θ range from 0 to π, and the limits for φ range from 0 to 2π.

5. Can triple integration be used for any three-dimensional shape?

Yes, triple integration can be used for any three-dimensional shape as long as the limits of integration can be determined and the shape has some type of symmetry that can be exploited to simplify the integration process.