Triple Integration: Solve Homework Equation

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving spherical coordinates. The problem is to integrate a function over a hemisphere of radius 2 using the spherical coordinates. The limits for the integration are from 0 to ## \pi/2 ## for ## \theta ## and from 0 to ## \pi ## for ## \phi ##. The conversation also discusses the difference between spherical and cylindrical coordinates and provides an explanation of how to visualize and understand the two angles in spherical coordinates.
Quatros

Homework Statement

SucV9XY.png

I'm trying to figure out the other parameters to solve the problem

Homework Equations

I know sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2) = p

The Attempt at a Solution

I changed the integrand to p^3 sin(theta) since p * p^2 sin(theta)
Then for the first integration sign, I know how to get the rest of them.

Attachments

• SucV9XY.png
    SucV9XY.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 619
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The differential volume ## dV=r^2 \, \sin{ \theta} \, dr \, d \theta \, d \phi ## in spherical coordinates. You need to integrate the function over this and pick the limits on ## r ##, ## \theta ##, and ## \phi ## correctly.

Charles Link said:
The differential volume ## dV=r^2 \, \sin{ \theta} \, dr \, d \theta \, d \phi ## in spherical coordinates. You need to integrate the function over this and pick the limits on ## r ##, ## \theta ##, and ## \phi ## correctly.

but isn't that cylinderical cordinates.

Quatros said:
but isn't that cylinderical cordinates.
No. Cylindrical coordinates is like polar coordinates in two dimensions and also has a ## dz ##.

Charles Link said:
The problem asks for spherical coordinates. Read it carefully.

It's p for sphere our in our book, unless you aren't talking about integrand.

Quatros said:
It's p for sphere our in our book, unless you aren't talking about integrand.
You can call it ## p ## or ## \rho ## or ## r ##, just so that you are consistent.

Alright, I changed

Sqrt[x^2+y^2+z^2] to p * p^2 * sin(theta)

Would the z= sqrt(4-x^2+y^2) turn into sqrt(4-p^2)?

Where is the ## dp ##, ## d \theta ## , and ## d \phi ##? Also, what do the limits need to be on ## p ##, ## \theta ##, and ## \phi ##? If you know how spherical coordinates work, the answer is simple. Incidentally, I think the book is using the Greek letter "rho"=##\rho ##, but it's easier to use ## r ##.

P 0 to sqrt(4-p^2)
Theta from 0 to 2pi?
the other symbol from 2 to 2?

The boundary of the surface you should recognize as a hemisphere of radius ##r=2 ##. It is very easy to write the limits for it in spherical coordinates=Suggestion is you google "spherical coordinates" and study the explanation.

Charles Link said:
The boundary of the surface you should recognize as a hemisphere of radius ##r=2 ##. It is very easy to write the limits for it in spherical coordinates=Suggestion is you google "spherical coordinates" and study the explanation.

yeah, I did that and still confused. Sorry about my bad english.

Quatros said:
yeah, I did that and still confused. Sorry about my bad english.
## \phi ## is the azimuth angle. It is the same angle as the ## \phi ## in cylindrical coordinates. The ## \theta ## is the tricky one in polar coordinates. It is measured from the z-axis. In the entire sphere, ## \theta ## goes from 0 to ## \pi ##. For a hemisphere, it goes from ## 0 ## to ## \pi/2 ##. Polar coordinates is much easier explained holding a pencil and showing where it points. It's much easier to describe in person than in a write-up on the internet. But anyway, if you start with the pencil pointing upward, along the z-axis, that is ## \theta =0 ##. Tilt the pencil down slightly, and you tilt it down by angle ## \theta ##. Depending on the direction you tilt it, that defines the ## \phi ## angle...Rotate the tilted pencil (and yourself) around the z-axis (i.e. turn to the left or right), and ## \theta ## stays constant, but you change ## \phi ##.

Is this graph an Ice cream com
Charles Link said:
## \phi ## is the azimuth angle. It is the same angle as the ## \phi ## in cylindrical coordinates. The ## \theta ## is the tricky one in polar coordinates. It is measured from the z-axis. In the entire sphere, ## \theta ## goes from 0 to ## \pi ##. For a hemisphere, it goes from ## 0 ## to ## \pi/2 ##. Polar coordinates is much easier explained holding a pencil and showing where it points. It's much easier to describe in person than in a write-up on the internet. But anyway, if you start with the pencil pointing upward, along the z-axis, that is ## \theta =0 ##. Tilt the pencil down slightly, and you tilt it down by angle ## \theta ##. Depending on the direction you tilt it, that defines the ## \phi ## angle...Rotate the tilted pencil (and yourself) around the z-axis (i.e. turn to the left or right), and ## \theta ## stays constant, but you change ## \phi ##.

This is an ice cream cone, so the ball part (theta) is going from 0 to 2pi , P/R: 0 to 2,
The third parameter is giving me trouble.

Quatros said:
Is this graph an Ice cream comThis is an ice cream cone, so the ball part (theta) is going from 0 to 2pi , P/R: 0 to 2,
The third parameter is giving me trouble.
(Referring to the hemisphere that is the boundary), ## \phi ## goes from ## 0 ## to ## 2 \pi ## (## 360^o ##). The polar angle ## \theta ##, goes from ## 0 ## to ## \pi/2 ## (## 90^o ##). It's probably not obvious if this is the first time you used spherical coordinates, but with a little practice, it gets easier.

Charles Link said:
(Referring to the hemisphere that is the boundary), ## \phi ## goes from ## 0 ## to ## 2 \pi ## (## 360^o ##). The polar angle ## \theta ##, goes from ## 0 ## to ## \pi/2 ## (## 90^o ##). It's probably not obvious if this is the first time you used spherical coordinates, but with a little practice, it gets easier.

Is 8 pi correct?

Likes Charles Link
Quatros said:
Is 8 pi correct?
Yes, that's what I get also.

1. What is triple integration?

Triple integration is a mathematical process of solving a three-dimensional integral, which involves integrating a function over a three-dimensional space.

2. How do you solve a triple integration equation?

To solve a triple integration equation, you need to evaluate the innermost integral first, then the middle integral, and finally the outer integral. This process is known as the "inside-out" method.

3. What are the applications of triple integration?

Triple integration is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to solve problems involving three-dimensional spaces. It can be used to calculate volumes, mass, center of mass, and other physical quantities.

4. What are the challenges in solving triple integration equations?

The main challenge in solving triple integration equations is keeping track of the bounds of each integral and setting them up correctly. It also requires a good understanding of the concept of integration and manipulating equations.

5. Can you provide an example of a triple integration problem?

Sure, for example, if we have the function f(x,y,z) = 2x + 3y + z and we want to find the volume between the planes x = 1, x = 3, y = 2, y = 4, z = 0, and z = 2, the triple integration would be: ∫02 ∫24 ∫13 (2x + 3y + z) dz dy dx.