1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple Major with MS?

1. Apr 13, 2010 #1
    Triple Major with MS??

My university offers a dual degree program in physics and engineering meaning in 5 years time I can have BS in physics & engineering on top off MS in Engineering. As i transferred credits I can do this program just for 4 years as normal undergrad student.
    Now if I want I can do another BS in Math. I am wondering whether it is a good idea for me to pursue Math. I enjoy math and before joining the dual degree program I was considering double major in math and physics. My major question now is: will it be worth to do a Math major as well? Do you think I will have an added advantage?
    I know triple major can be hard with lots of course load. This would be mean I won't be able to take any other 'interesting' classes. If I do not do Math as a major I am still minoring in it and i can pick up another minor or two.

I just want advice!

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2010 #2
    Re: Triple Major with MS??

hmm... no one know what to say! =(

4. Apr 13, 2010 #3

a) General consensus on this forum is that nobody (neither jobs nor grad schools) really cares about second/third majors-it's all about the coursework
    b) look at the math courses and see how many of them actually interest you-enough to bother with the major?

5. Apr 13, 2010 #4

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well I had a hard time fitting a double major in Astrophysics and Economics into my course load limits. Econ is not a very large major. I would think that a triple major in Physics, engineering, AND math on top of GE requirements and College requirements would be a doozy. All I can say, is maybe meet with a counselor and see if you can fit all those courses. Otherwise...you can always take courses for interest, or you can consider a minor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook