1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple pendulum

1. Mar 15, 2006 #1
    I am trying to do a computer model of a triple pendulum.
    I have looked up some of the models for single and double pendulum and successfully model them.
    but when i start of triple pendulum, i encounter a really fundamental problem, i dont know how to write the system of equation for that.:frown:

i got the first equation to be (m1+m2+m3)[L1]^2 [x1]''+(m2+m3)([L1][L2][L3]) [x2]''+(m1+m2+m3)[L1]g [x1] ==0

but i feel that the first equation has already missing something. but i cant really tell because my mechanic class was taken long time ago and the book i have doesnt explain much about setting up the equation. it just basically told me that is the equation.

any help will be appreciated
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2006 #2

I asked my TA for help and they just simply ignored me... I know this question might increase their workload.
    Any 3 bodies system like 3 masses spring system also work too. i just want to understand how to setup such system.
  4. Mar 17, 2006 #3

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It isn't too difficult to write down equations of motion for this system, but they will be a bit longish. Before I try to explain how to get them though, do you have in mind pendula confined to swing in a plane or free to move in all three dimensions?
  5. Mar 17, 2006 #4
    I am actually doing it in 2D at this time. i believe 2d can fully demotrate a chaotic system.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?