Model a Triple Pendulum: Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter leon1127
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, the person is trying to create a computer model of a triple pendulum and has successfully modeled single and double pendulums. However, they are encountering a problem when trying to write the system of equations for the triple pendulum. They have attempted to write the first equation, but feel that it is missing something. They have sought help from their TA and online but have not received any assistance. They mention that it is not too difficult to write the equations for the system, but they will be lengthy. They are currently working on the model in 2D and believe it can demonstrate a chaotic system.
leon1127
I am trying to do a computer model of a triple pendulum.
I have looked up some of the models for single and double pendulum and successfully model them.
but when i start of triple pendulum, i encounter a really fundamental problem, i don't know how to write the system of equation for that.:frown:

i got the first equation to be (m1+m2+m3)[L1]^2 [x1]''+(m2+m3)([L1][L2][L3]) [x2]''+(m1+m2+m3)[L1]g [x1] ==0

but i feel that the first equation has already missing something. but i can't really tell because my mechanic class was taken long time ago and the book i have doesn't explain much about setting up the equation. it just basically told me that is the equation.

any help will be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

I asked my TA for help and they just simply ignored me... I know this question might increase their workload.
Any 3 bodies system like 3 masses spring system also work too. i just want to understand how to setup such system.

It isn't too difficult to write down equations of motion for this system, but they will be a bit longish. Before I try to explain how to get them though, do you have in mind pendula confined to swing in a plane or free to move in all three dimensions?

Physics Monkey said:
It isn't too difficult to write down equations of motion for this system, but they will be a bit longish. Before I try to explain how to get them though, do you have in mind pendula confined to swing in a plane or free to move in all three dimensions?

I am actually doing it in 2D at this time. i believe 2d can fully demotrate a chaotic system.

1. What is a triple pendulum?

A triple pendulum is a physical system made up of three pendulums connected by hinges. The motion of a triple pendulum is highly complex and chaotic, making it a popular subject for studying nonlinear dynamics and chaos theory.

2. Why is it important to model a triple pendulum?

Modeling a triple pendulum allows scientists to better understand the behavior of complex systems and how they can be affected by small changes in initial conditions. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering and physics.

3. What are the steps involved in modeling a triple pendulum?

The steps involved in modeling a triple pendulum include determining the initial conditions, solving the equations of motion, simulating the system using a computer program, and analyzing the results to gain insights into its behavior.

4. What are some real-world examples of triple pendulum systems?

Some real-world examples of triple pendulum systems include the chaotic motion of a three-legged stool, the swinging arms of a human walking, and the motion of a three-link robot arm.

5. How can the results of a triple pendulum simulation be applied?

The results of a triple pendulum simulation can be applied in various fields, such as predicting the behavior of complex systems, designing stable structures, and understanding the dynamics of mechanical systems. They can also provide insights into the role of chaos in natural phenomena.