1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple Point Determination

1. Nov 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data I need to calculate the temperature and pressure at the triple point. natural log of pressure of the liquid/solid: lnp(solid)= 29.411-(5893.5K/T) lnp(liquid)=22.254-(3479.9K/T). The compound is uranium hexafluoride, MW= 352.02. I do not believe the actual molecule matters to much, just the weight. pressure is in Pa.

2. Relevant equations
    lnp(solid)= 29.411-(5893.5K/T)
    lnp(liquid)=22.254-(3479.9K/T)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used P= 1 atm -->101.325kPa, and using the lnp(solid) equation determined a temperature. I then used that same temp in the lnp(liquid) to solve the other lnp equation. It did not go well. I am unsure on how to relate these two equations to the triple point. I should be able to grind through the math when I know how to relate it all.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2008 #2
    Is there any reason you put P=1atm?

In my opinion, you should equate those two equations since the triple point is where they meet each other.

4. Nov 18, 2008 #3
    I just assumed it to try and work through the problem. I also tried setting the two equal to each other after posting to determine the temp. The temp was 337.2, which i put into each respective equation to get the pressures. It worked well, but there was a small difference in the answer I got for the pressure. one was 1.522443*10^5, and the other was 1.523616*10^5. I believe these values are close enough to consider them the same, what do you think?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?