1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple product vector problem

1. Aug 24, 2011 #1
    Find [itex](\vec{a}\times \vec{b})\cdot \vec{c}[/itex] if [itex]\vec{a}=3\vec{m}+5\vec{n}[/itex], [itex]\vec{b}=\vec{m}-2\vec{n}[/itex], [itex]\vec{c}=2\vec{m}+7\vec{n}[/itex], [itex]|\vec{m}|=\frac{1}{2}[/itex], [itex]|\vec{n}|=3[/itex], [itex]\angle(\vec{m},\vec{n})=\frac{3\pi}{4}[/itex]

This is my approach:
    [itex](\vec{a}\times\vec{b})\cdot\vec{c}=[(3\vec{m}+5\vec{n})\times(\vec{m}-2\vec{n})]\cdot(2\vec{m}+7\vec{n})=[3\vec{m}\times\vec{m}-6\vec{m}\times\vec{n}+5\vec{n}\times\vec{m}-10\vec{n}\times\vec{n}]\cdot(2\vec{m}+7\vec{n})=\bf(-11\vec{m}\times\vec{n})\cdot(2\vec{m}+7\vec{n})[/itex]

I stuck here. I don't know the coordinates of [itex]\vec{m}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{n}[/itex].
    Maybe the whole approach is wrong. I don't have any other idea on solving this problem so I need your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What are mxm and nxn? Go back and _look at the definition_ of a vector product.

RGV

4. Aug 24, 2011 #3
    mxm and nxn by the definition gives us 0. That doesn't change anything.

5. Aug 24, 2011 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

OK, I see now that you got rid of those terms; the results were hidden behind a popup that appeared on my screen before (but not now). Anyway, you now want to evaluate 11 mxn . (2m + 7n). Now go back and look at the definition of mxn; in particular, pay attention to the directions in which various vectors are pointing.

RGV

6. Aug 25, 2011 #5
    Hello Ray,

I did these operations: [itex](-11\vec{m}\times\vec{n})\cdot(2\vec{m}+7\vec{n})=(-11\vec{m}\times\vec{n})\cdot2\vec{m}+(-11\vec{m}\times\vec{n})\cdot7\vec{n}[/itex][itex]=[/itex]
    [itex]=[/itex][itex]-22(\vec{m}\times\vec{n})\cdot\vec{m}-77(\vec{m}\times\vec{n})\cdot\vec{n}[/itex]

So, according to definition, the vector [itex]\vec{m}\times\vec{n}[/itex] is normal with the plane spanned by vectors [itex]\vec{m}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{n}[/itex], as a result I got 0 at the and. Is this correct? Are these operations I did allowed?

7. Aug 25, 2011 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hello chmate! :smile:

erm :redface:

before embarking on long calculations, always check the obvious

hint: what is b + c ? :wink:
    see above! :rolleyes:

8. Aug 25, 2011 #7
    Hi tinytim,

I see now that the vectors are lineary dependent so 0 is the right answer.
    I just want to have this question answered, are these operations I did legal?

Thank you

9. Aug 25, 2011 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

let's see …
    yes, that's fine :smile:

(and (A x B).B is always zero)

10. Aug 25, 2011 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, everything is legal. You just used things like A*(B+C) = A*B + A*C and A*(rB) = r(A*B) for scalar r; these are true if * is either the dot product or the cross-product. You also used AxB = -BxA which is specific to the cross product. Of course, you could have written the answer right away, without any calculations, because you had (UxV).W, where U, V and W are all linear combinations of m and n, so all lie in the same plane containing m and n---hence UxV is perpendicular to W.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?