1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple Scalar Product

1. Feb 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A x (B dot C)

(A x B) dot C

They are vectors.

2. Relevant equations

A x (B dot C)

(A x B) dot C

3. The attempt at a solution

I know how to do my homework, but I am confused on these formulas.

Is the first formula "A x (B dot C)" the same as the second one? I know the second one is the same as
    A dot (B x C).

It doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't the B dot C become a scalar? So how could A cross with that?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The first multiplication is not "cross product". The dot product of two vectors is a scalar, and the cross product is defined for two vectors. What you wrote is just a product of A with a scalar.

ehild

4. Feb 8, 2012 #3
    So would that mean I do A multiply by (B dot C)?

5. Feb 8, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The scalar triple product of for vectors A, B, and C is a combination of a cross-product (also called a vector-product) and a dot-product (also called a scalar-product) .

It's only defined if you do the cross product first.

(A×B)∙C and A∙(B×C) are both defined.

Neither (ABC nor A×(BC) is defined if × denotes the vector product. It's not possible to form a cross-product with a vector and a scalar.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook