1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple-slit interference

1. Jul 15, 2007 #1
    I'm having a bit of trouble with this problem:

Three slits of negligible width are cut into points y=-d,0,d on a screen. A second screen is placed parallel to the first a distance L(L>>d) away. Light is projected through the slits onto the screen, forming an interference pattern. Express the intensity of the pattern in terms of L, d, lamda, I_0 (the intensity of each beam individually), and the height h along the screen.

I'm not sure exactly how similar this triple slit experiment would be compared to the more common double-slit experiments. I would appreciate it if the differences between the two were explained. Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2007 #2
    Here are some ideas. Take a point point x on the second screen and denote d1, d2, d3 shortest distances from x to the three slits. Assume that external light arrives to all three slits with the same phase, then the amplitudes of light arriving at the point x and passed through slits 1, 2, and 3 will be proportional to [itex] sin (2 \pi d_1/ \lambda) [/itex], [itex] sin (2 \pi d_2/ \lambda) [/itex], and [itex] sin (2 \pi d_3/ \lambda) [/itex], respectively. Then in order to find the light intensity at the point x you should calculate a square of the sum of these three terms and multiply this square by an appropriate intensity factor.

4. Jul 16, 2007 #3
    That makes sense, but I'm not exactly sure what u mean by light intensity factor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?