1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple Slit optics interferece

1. May 3, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A triple-slit experiment consists of three narrow slits, equally spaced by distance d and illuminated by light of wavelength λ. Each slit alone produces intensity I1 on the viewing screen at distance L.
    Consider a point on the distant viewing screen such that the path-length difference between any two adjacent slits is λ.

What is the intensity at this point?
    Express your answer in terms of I1

What is the intensity at a point where the path-length difference between any two adjacent slits is λ/2?
    Express your answer in terms of I1.

2. Relevant equations
    I have no idea what applies to this.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea how to solve this. I know that the answers are 9I for the first question and I for the second. I found it in a list of problems to know for my final exam, but i have no clue how to start.

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Consider just two slits for the moment. If the path difference for the waves from the two slits is λ, do the waves arrive at the screen in phase or out of phase?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted