1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triplet Production

1. Jan 7, 2008 #1
    I have a question I am working on for which I need some help.

"Using E^2 - p^2c^2 = invariant, calculate the thresholds for pair production and triplet production."

This is what I have for pair production:

Pair Production
    E^2 – p^2c^2 = invariant
    therefore, E > pc, for each electron produced, where E is the photon energy hv
    E > 2[m0 v c (excess KE of electron) + m0 c^2 (rest mass of an electron)] = 2 m0 c^2 , since v = 0 for minimum photon energy
    E > (2)(9.1E-31 kg)(2.998E8 m/s)2
    E > 1.636E-13 J / 1.602E-13 J/MeV
    E > 1.02 MeV

I am stuck on the triplet production. I found one reference that has the KE transferred to the stationary electron with the excess photon momentum = me-c^2, m sub e-

Any help or critique would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

what have you tried? It is hard to give you critique when dont show what you have tried.
  4. Jan 8, 2008 #3
    I was speaking of critiquing pair production and maybe and idea where to start on the triplet. I think I will start on conservation of energy and post tonight.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?