Calculate Thresholds for Pair/Triplet Production

• Thread starter roadracerex
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the thresholds for pair production and triplet production using the equation E^2 - p^2c^2 = invariant. The speaker is having difficulty with the triplet production and is seeking help and critique. The calculation for pair production is explained, with a minimum photon energy of 1.02 MeV. The speaker plans to start by considering conservation of energy in their attempt to solve the triplet production.
roadracerex
I have a question I am working on for which I need some help.

"Using E^2 - p^2c^2 = invariant, calculate the thresholds for pair production and triplet production."

This is what I have for pair production:

Pair Production
E^2 – p^2c^2 = invariant
therefore, E > pc, for each electron produced, where E is the photon energy hv
E > 2[m0 v c (excess KE of electron) + m0 c^2 (rest mass of an electron)] = 2 m0 c^2 , since v = 0 for minimum photon energy
E > (2)(9.1E-31 kg)(2.998E8 m/s)2
E > 1.636E-13 J / 1.602E-13 J/MeV
E > 1.02 MeV

I am stuck on the triplet production. I found one reference that has the KE transferred to the stationary electron with the excess photon momentum = me-c^2, m sub e-

Any help or critique would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
what have you tried? It is hard to give you critique when don't show what you have tried.

I was speaking of critiquing pair production and maybe and idea where to start on the triplet. I think I will start on conservation of energy and post tonight.

Thanks.

1. What is the purpose of calculating thresholds for pair/triplet production?

The purpose of calculating thresholds for pair/triplet production is to determine the minimum amount of energy required to produce a pair or triplet of particles (such as electrons and positrons) from a single particle collision. This is an important calculation in particle physics as it helps researchers understand the fundamental interactions between particles and their energies.

2. How are thresholds for pair/triplet production calculated?

Thresholds for pair/triplet production are calculated using the conservation of energy and momentum. This means that the total energy and momentum before the particle collision must equal the total energy and momentum after the collision. By setting up equations and solving for the minimum energy required for the production of pairs or triplets, the thresholds can be determined.

3. What factors affect the thresholds for pair/triplet production?

The thresholds for pair/triplet production are affected by several factors such as the type of particles involved, their masses, and the angle at which they collide. The energy of the particles also plays a significant role in determining the thresholds, as higher energy particles have a greater chance of producing pairs or triplets.

4. Why is it important to accurately calculate thresholds for pair/triplet production?

Accurate calculations of thresholds for pair/triplet production are important for understanding the behavior of particles and their interactions. This information is crucial in fields such as particle physics, astrophysics, and cosmology, where the production of particles through collisions is a common occurrence. Accurate thresholds also help in the design and optimization of experiments that involve high-energy particle collisions.

5. Can thresholds for pair/triplet production be experimentally verified?

Yes, thresholds for pair/triplet production can be experimentally verified by colliding particles at different energies and measuring the resulting production of pairs or triplets. If the calculated thresholds are accurate, the observed production rates should match the predicted values. This experimental verification is an important step in validating the calculations and theories used in particle physics.