Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triply periodic surfaces

1. Feb 7, 2014 #1
    So I understand that a surface is triply periodic when the surface is invariant under three tanslations in [itex]R^{3}[/itex]. When looking at the primitive for example, how is that translation defined? Say that the primitive is a set defined by the equation

[itex]cos(x)+cos(y)+cos(z)=0[/itex]

My guess is that the translation would take [itex](x,y,z)\rightarrow(x+\Delta x, y+\Delta y, z +\Delta z)[/itex]. Is that incorrect thinking?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2014 #2
    Readjustment

So I have new information now. Apparently showing that the gradient of a level set does not vanish somehow also shows that a set defined as above is invariant under three translations. How is that the case?

With that in mind, the gradient of the above is

[itex]\nabla(cos(x)+cos(y)+cos(z)) \ne 0 \rightarrow (-sin(x),-sin(y),-sin(z)) \ne 0 \rightarrow x,y,z \ne 0[/itex]

I don't see how this guarantees the surface is invariant under three translations in [itex]R^{3}[/itex]. Any suggestions?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook