Why does bass have a higher tendency to move objects compared to treble?

• Thread starter LukeeeeBennet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
This means that when the bass sound reaches the coin's natural frequency, the amplitude of the oscillation is very high.In summary, the conversation discusses the physics of sound and its effect on objects. The speaker is writing a music A-Level dissertation based on the topic and is curious about why bass has a higher tendency to move objects compared to treble. They mention three reasons for this, including the sensitivity of our ears to bass, the amplitude of vibrations at low frequencies, and the resonance frequencies of objects. They thank the other person for any help they can provide.
LukeeeeBennet
So, I'm writing a music A-Level dissertation, but because of my love for physics, I've based it on the physics of sound. I didn't think this should go into the homework section because it's not so much homework that I need help with.

Whilst working through some fundamentals on my board, I puzzled myself as to why bass has a higher tendency to move objects.

For example, if I put a coin on the desk that my speaker is on and keep the speakers at volume x, why will bass cause the coin to vibrate/move and treble not?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are three reasons:

1. our ears are less sensitive to bass than to middle-C: to perceive the same intensity of sound bass acoustic waves must have much bigger power;

2. vibrations at the same energy have bigger amplitude for low frequencies. Thus coin vibrating at 20Hz may be seen as vibrating, but the wine glass vibrating at 5,000Hz make no visual effect;

3. objects like coin on a table have their resonance frequencies rather low.

What is sound?

Sound is a form of energy that is produced by vibrations and travels through a medium, such as air or water, in the form of waves. It can be heard by the human ear and is an essential part of communication and perception in the world around us.

How does sound travel?

Sound travels through a medium, such as air or water, by causing particles in the medium to vibrate. These vibrations create a series of compressions and rarefactions, which are perceived by our ears as sound waves.

What can cause me to "trip myself up" on sound?

There are a few different factors that can cause difficulties with understanding or producing sound. These may include hearing impairments, speech disorders, or neurological conditions affecting the auditory system.

How can I improve my understanding of sound?

Practicing active listening and paying attention to the details of sound can improve your understanding and perception of sound. Additionally, seeking out resources and information on sound, such as books or online courses, can help expand your knowledge.

What are some interesting facts about sound?

Some interesting facts about sound include that it travels faster in solids than in air, it cannot travel through a vacuum, and dolphins and bats use echolocation to navigate and communicate. Additionally, sound can also be used in medical imaging and therapy.