1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tripple integral

1. Jul 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using cylindrical coordinates, evaluate ʃʃʃe^z where E is enclosed by the paraboloid z = 1 + x^2 + y^2 and the cylinder x^2 + y^2 = 5 and the xy-plane.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    here are the integrals in xyz coordinates:
    0>z>1 + x^2 + y^2
    -(5-x^2)^.5 > y > (5 - x^2)^.5
    -(5)^.5 > x > (5)^.5

i double checked that with my proffessor so it has to be right. but i must be doin something wrong when i switch into polar coordinates. here is what the polar limits are (i thought):
    0 > z > 1 + r^2
    0 > r > 5^.5
    0 > ɵ > 2pi

i keep getting the wrong answer. if anything is wrong i would think it is z. unless maybe it is right and i am just integrating wrong but i checked over a million times and didnt c any mistakes :( i have:
    ʃʃʃ(e^z)rdzdrdɵ

edit: let me know if u need more info. i can type out all my integration steps if u think my limits look good

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2008 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No dz integration? :confused:

4. Jul 10, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You realize this makes no sense don't you? 1+ x2+ y2> 1 for all x, y. z can't be less than 0 and greater than 1! Surely you mean 0< z< 1+ x2+ y2.

Again 0< z< 1+ r2

So you have
    [tex]\int_{r= 0}^{\sqrt{5}}\int_{\theta= 0}^{2\pi}\int_{z= 0}^{1+r^2} e^z dzd\theta dr[/itex]
    Is that right?

5. Jul 10, 2008 #4
    yes that is right. sorry i typed it up wrong, my bad. im not sure how to use those symbols either but w/e

does the limits look right to u?

edit: i changed it and added dz, should be typed up correctly now

edit: o sorry, actually the same thing u wrote, but multiplied by r. i thought u had to do that when u change to polar. idk maybe it is different in this case for some reason

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?