Tripple Integral Homework: Finding \int\int\int_D dV

• Thread starter sandy.bridge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the value of \int\int\int_D{e^{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/2}/2}}dV given 1\leq{x^2+y^2+z^2}\leq{3}, z^2\geq{2}(x^2+y^2), 2x\leq{y}\leq3x is a cone with a curved surface. The range of ϕ is limited by the point that the cone intersects the outer edge of the sphere.
sandy.bridge

Homework Statement

find the value of [tex]\int\int\int_D{e^{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/2}/2}}dV[/tex] given [tex]1\leq{x^2+y^2+z^2}\leq{3}, z^2\geq{2}(x^2+y^2), 2x\leq{y}\leq3x[/tex]
I am reviewing tripple integrals and am having a bit of difficulty determining the limits for each part. I have,
[tex]arctan(2)\leq\theta\leq{arctan(3)}, 1\leq\rho\leq{\sqrt{3}}[/tex]

but I can't seem to visualize what is happening with
[tex]\phi[/tex]
Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you visualize what the surface z^2=2*(x^2+y^2) looks like?

Kind of; paraboloid? If it is indeed a paraboloid, how does one determine the angle phi when the parabloid has a curved surface?
[tex]\phi{_1}\leq\phi\leq\pi/2[/tex]

sandy.bridge said:
Kind of; paraboloid? If it is indeed a paraboloid, how does one determine the angle phi when the parabloid has a curved surface?
[tex]\phi{_1}\leq\phi\leq\pi/2[/tex]

z=2*(x^2+y^2) is a paraboloid. z^2=2*(x^2+y^2) isn't. Think a little harder. I'll give you a hint. Sketch z^2=2*x^2 in the x-z plane.

Last edited:
It's a cone, I believe. Now, this cone is going to intersect the outer edge of the sphere, and therefore, plugging the equation for the cone into x^2+y^2+z^2=3, we get
[tex]3x^2+3y^2=3\rightarrow{x^2+y^2=1}[/tex]
Do I have the right idea so far?

sandy.bridge said:
It's a cone, I believe. Now, this cone is going to intersect the outer edge of the sphere, and therefore, plugging the equation for the cone into x^2+y^2+z^2=3, we get
[tex]3x^2+3y^2=3\rightarrow{x^2+y^2=1}[/tex]
Do I have the right idea so far?

You have the right idea that it's a cone. Doesn't the cone determine the range of ϕ? Isn't that what you were asking about?

Indeed, it does. However, is this not limited by the point that the cone intersects the outer edge of shell? This is why I combined the equations
[tex]x^2+y^2+z^2=3, z^2=2(x^2+y^2)[/tex]
This point of interesction can then be used to determine the angle from the xy-plane, which phi will merely be 90 less the angle measured.

Here is the drawing:
yes-4.jpg

So [tex]\phi[/tex] will go from the angle that it intersects to pi/2

Last edited:
sandy.bridge said:
Indeed, it does. However, is this not limited by the point that the cone intersects the outer edge of shell? This is why I combined the equations
[tex]x^2+y^2+z^2=3, z^2=2(x^2+y^2)[/tex]
This point of interesction can then be used to determine the angle from the xy-plane, which phi will merely be 90 less the angle measured.

Right, but I don't think there is any need to intersect z^2=2(x^2+y^2) with anything. ANY point on the cone that's above the x-y plane has the same value of phi.

This is true. I got the right answer. Thanks

1. What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is an extension of a double integral, which is used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional region. It involves integrating a function over a three-dimensional space, and the result is a single value.

2. How is a triple integral different from a double integral?

A triple integral involves integrating a function over a three-dimensional space, while a double integral integrates over a two-dimensional space. This means that a triple integral involves an additional dimension, and the resulting value is a volume instead of an area.

3. What is the process for solving a triple integral?

The process for solving a triple integral involves breaking down the three-dimensional region into smaller, simpler shapes (such as rectangular prisms or cylinders), setting up the limits of integration, and then integrating the function over each of these shapes. The final step is to sum up all the individual integrals to get the overall value.

4. What is the purpose of finding a triple integral?

The purpose of finding a triple integral is to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional region. This is useful in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

5. Are there any special techniques for solving triple integrals?

Yes, there are several techniques for solving triple integrals, such as using cylindrical or spherical coordinates, as well as using symmetry to simplify the integral. It is important to choose the most appropriate technique based on the given region and function.