1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tripple integral

1. Jan 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

find the value of [tex]\int\int\int_D{e^{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/2}/2}}dV[/tex] given [tex]1\leq{x^2+y^2+z^2}\leq{3}, z^2\geq{2}(x^2+y^2), 2x\leq{y}\leq3x[/tex]
    I am reviewing tripple integrals and am having a bit of difficulty determining the limits for each part. I have,
    [tex]arctan(2)\leq\theta\leq{arctan(3)}, 1\leq\rho\leq{\sqrt{3}}[/tex]

but I cant seem to visualize what is happening with
    [tex]\phi[/tex]
    Any suggestions?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you visualize what the surface z^2=2*(x^2+y^2) looks like?

4. Jan 10, 2012 #3
    Kind of; paraboloid? If it is indeed a paraboloid, how does one determine the angle phi when the parabloid has a curved surface?
    [tex]\phi{_1}\leq\phi\leq\pi/2[/tex]

5. Jan 10, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

z=2*(x^2+y^2) is a paraboloid. z^2=2*(x^2+y^2) isn't. Think a little harder. I'll give you a hint. Sketch z^2=2*x^2 in the x-z plane.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  6. Jan 10, 2012 #5
    It's a cone, I believe. Now, this cone is going to intersect the outer edge of the sphere, and therefore, plugging the equation for the cone into x^2+y^2+z^2=3, we get
    [tex]3x^2+3y^2=3\rightarrow{x^2+y^2=1}[/tex]
    Do I have the right idea so far?

7. Jan 10, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have the right idea that it's a cone. Doesn't the cone determine the range of ϕ? Isn't that what you were asking about?

8. Jan 11, 2012 #7
    Indeed, it does. However, is this not limited by the point that the cone intersects the outer edge of shell? This is why I combined the equations
    [tex]x^2+y^2+z^2=3, z^2=2(x^2+y^2)[/tex]
    This point of interesction can then be used to determine the angle from the xy-plane, which phi will merely be 90 less the angle measured.

9. Jan 11, 2012 #8
    Here is the drawing:
    yes-4.jpg
    So [tex]\phi[/tex] will go from the angle that it intersects to pi/2

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  10. Jan 11, 2012 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right, but I don't think there is any need to intersect z^2=2(x^2+y^2) with anything. ANY point on the cone that's above the x-y plane has the same value of phi.

11. Jan 11, 2012 #10
    This is true. I got the right answer. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook