Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tris- HCl buffer

1. Mar 12, 2005 #1
    how can i make this buffer? i know how to make Tris- HCl buffer, but how about this one? what is the acid and base here?

25 mM Tris-phosphate (pH 7.8)

any ideas?

thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2005 #2

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

25 mM Tris-base
    25 mM Phosphate or phosphoric acid

Adjust the pH to 7.8 with the phosphoric acid

4. Mar 12, 2005 #3
    i thought this method is used for only conjugate pairs. Tris-base
    and phosphoric acid are not conjugate of each other, are they?

thanks.

5. Mar 12, 2005 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is a new buffer to me (I've heard of both tris and phosphate buffers and use them regularly, but never heard of combining the two). What are you using it for (or what is it claimed to be used for)? How well does it buffer? What's the advantage of using this over just a tris buffer or phosphate buffer?

6. Mar 12, 2005 #5

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know, I am not a biochemist. It is how most people go about it.

Moonbear,

Tris-Phosphate when EDTA is added can be used in gel electrophoresis.

7. Mar 12, 2005 #6
    i just don't know how can 25 mM Tris-base added to 25 mM phosphoric acid and still we get 25mM buffer. won't the concentration of each of the solutions change? :eek:

8. Mar 12, 2005 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure how Tris and Phosphoric acid interact, but they must in some way or it wouldn't be a good buffer. So, in general, if you add 25 mM of A and 25 mM of B, you get 25 mM AB. If they don't interact (which wouldn't make sense given the purpose), you'd still have a solution of 25 mM of A and 25 mM of B; in other words, if there was no reaction/interaction between the two, adding B would have no effect on the concentration of A in your solution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?