Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trivia Quiz - Nov 2006

1. Nov 29, 2006 #1
    1) What is the full (real life) name of the current pope

2) When pirates capture you you can call for "parler". What does this mean ?

3) Of which country both the current president and the prime minister are twin brothers?

4) Who was the first prime minister of Isreal ?

5) "When you call my name, i am no longer there". Who am i and from which movie does this riddle come ?

6) Smoking is bad for your health. Under which political regime did scientists found that out for the first time (or at least found some of the earliest proofs)

7) Who performed the first succesful heart transplantation on a human being?

8) What does "habemus papam" mean ?

9) What or who are/were the SS ? What does this abbreviation mean ?

10) What did Icarus try to achieve ?

11) What was the name of the political party that Ariel Sharon founded in 2005 and what does the name mean in English?

12) Which Nobel laureate once spoke/wrote down the very wise words "democracy is the worst system in the world, with the exception of all the others"
    enjoy

marlon

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2006 #2
    geez, your quiz's aren't easy. :biggrin: I'd have to google for most.

4. Nov 29, 2006 #3
    c'mon man "googling" is for pussies...

marlon

5. Nov 29, 2006 #4
    my answers::

1) Something Ratzinger

2)The captain?

5)The riddler? hahaha

9) Hitler's secret police, not sure what it stands for

10) To fly towards the sun with feathers attached to him with wax (which melted), aha, I knew that one.

I gave it my best.

6. Nov 29, 2006 #5
    After googling the answers to the ones I missed, I should have known a few more then I did, but it was a hard quiz none the less. :)

7. Nov 29, 2006 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

10)Flying - Icarus flew too close to the sun and his wings melted.
    Can we answer more than one at a time?

8. Nov 29, 2006 #7

Evo

1) Inigo Montoya :biggrin:

9. Nov 29, 2006 #8

Evo

7) Christiaan Barnard, I know because my mom worked for Dr Cooley.

10. Nov 29, 2006 #9
    1) goes with 9) a bit, doesn't it?

As an aside -- google Gottfried Helnwein's art work The Epiphany.
    I like it.

11. Nov 29, 2006 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1) What is the full (real life) name of the current pope - something Ratzinger something

2) When pirates capture you you can call for "parler". What does this mean ?according to the movies, when you parley grants you the right to make a deal with the pirate captain

3) Of which country both the current president and the prime minister are twin brothers?Easy one - was in the news recently, and has been on NPR repeatedly these last two weeks in the context of the possibility of a new hyperconservative revival, and also discussing the likely public release of communist documents and the nonsensical punishment of everyone but priests that are revealed to have participated

4) Who was the first prime minister of Isreal ?Ben Gurion?

5) "When you call my name, i am no longer there". Who am i and from which movie does this riddle come ?not a clue - but since you used the word riddle I'm going with Batman, though I'm pretty sure it's wrong! This sounds like something Weird Al would write

6) Smoking is bad for your health. Under which political regime did scientists found that out for the first time (or at least found some of the earliest proofs)this could be a trick question...

7) Who performed the first succesful heart transplantation on a human being?Christiaan Bernard

8) What does "habemus papam" mean ?something related to the pope?

9) What or who are/were the SS ? What does this abbreviation mean ?Secret Police -Schutzstaffen -

10) What did Icarus try to achieve ?try to escape captivity by flying out of a tower with wax wings attached

11) What was the name of the political party that Ariel Sharon founded in 2005 and what does the name mean in English?Kadime - no idea what it means

12) Which Nobel laureate once spoke/wrote down the very wise words "democracy is the worst system in the world, with the exception of all the others"
    enjoyno idea - but that's a nice quote!

12. Nov 29, 2006 #11
    12>>Is it Al' Einstein?<<

13. Nov 29, 2006 #12

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

1. Joseph Ratzinger
    4. Golda Meir
    8.We have a Pope
    9. Schutz Staffel; originally the bodyguard for Hitler, took over many of the roles of SA after Roehm's fall
    10. What his Daddy expressly told him not to do.
    12. Goebbels once called him "a stinking barrel of whisky"

14. Nov 29, 2006 #13

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I know some answers:
    3. Poland
    8. We have a pope
    10.Flight too near the sun

15. Nov 29, 2006 #14
    2) I don't know, but I expect it comes from the French word for speak and in this context means bargain for release.

4) David Ben Gurion

6) Proof is such a strong word. And "some" such a weak one.

10) Flight

11) Kadima. It means Forward.

16. Nov 29, 2006 #15
    My answerrs are below:

2) I don't speak pirate :)

3) Poland.

9) Schutzstaffel

10) He tried to fly to the sun.

11) Likud (spelling?)

12) Churchill?

17. Nov 29, 2006 #16
    OK, let me give the answers to the questions that have been solved correctly.

Jozef Alois Ratzinger

Talk to the captain of the ship to bargain for release

Poland

David Ben Gurion

Life is beautiful. Answer : silence

HINT : the movie won multiple academy awards among one for best movie (this took place in the last 8 years).

Did not see a correct answer yet but the country belongs to the European Union now...

Christiaan Barnard

Latin for "we have a pope"

Schutzstaffel. They were the private gards of Hitler first but they became like the NAZI police later on

Fly to the sun with wings of wax but they melted as he came to close to the sun.

Not Likud, he was a member of that party before creating Kadima which means Foreward

Arildno described him properly : Winston Churchill

I will let you guys think of the remaining question.
    Hope you liked it so far and thanks for participating

marlon

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  18. Nov 29, 2006 #17

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The riddle is from Life is Beautiful. The answer to it is silence. Right?

19. Nov 30, 2006 #18
    correct

marlon

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?