Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trivia this sunday

1. Jun 4, 2014 #1

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Sports-Trivia-Quiz.jpg

I will be hosting a science trivia challenge this sunday 8 june at 1 PM CST.

There will be 25 questions about all kinds of scientific knowledge.

Everybody is welcome!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2014 #2

interhacker

Gold Member

Awesome! Are there any rules?

EDIT: Have trivias happened on PF before? I'd appreciate it if anyone can give me a link so I know how they work.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  4. Jun 4, 2014 #3
    I'm in! Hope I can get a few points :)

5. Jun 4, 2014 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Don't worry, you'll do fine! The rules are simple, the first person to answer a question gets 1 point. I announce who gets the points and my announcement is final :tongue:

Googling the answer is allowed. Who ends up getting the most points is the winner!

6. Jun 5, 2014 #5

interhacker

Gold Member

Fun fact: June 8 is also the day when the final episode of Cosmos: A Space-time Odyssey will be released. :)

7. Jun 5, 2014 #6
    Maybe we can have a Cosmos question!

8. Jun 5, 2014 #7

adjacent

Gold Member

:cry: it's going to end :frown:

9. Jun 5, 2014 #8

interhacker

Gold Member

that would be cool. :smile:

10. Jun 5, 2014 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Awesome micro!!

11. Jun 5, 2014 #10

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am awaiting my winnings...

12. Jun 6, 2014 #11

interhacker

Gold Member

The answer to life, the universe and everything. Lol.

13. Jun 7, 2014 #12

interhacker

Gold Member

Damn. It turns out 1 PM CST is 11 PM in my local time. :(

14. Jun 7, 2014 #13

adjacent

Gold Member

Me too :redface:

15. Jun 7, 2014 #14
    So what? Sounds like a party! I'll bring the chips and salsa! :)

16. Jun 7, 2014 #15

adjacent

Gold Member

hahaha. Yeah

17. Jun 7, 2014 #16
    Reminder for trivia tomorrow! Be there!

18. Jun 8, 2014 #17
    Trivia starting in 35min!

19. Jun 8, 2014 #18

reenmachine

Gold Member

Scores for this week:

CAF - 1
    Evo - 1
    Jackyruth - 1
    DavidSnider - 2
    trollcast - 4
    interhacker - 5
    jbunniii - 6
    Jonathan scott - 17

Winner: Jonathan Scott

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  20. Jun 8, 2014 #19

adjacent

Gold Member

meh ~~~

21. Jun 8, 2014 #20

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

QUESTIONS:

1) Let's put a cube on a table, resting on one of its sideplanes. What happens to the pressure applied by the cube on the table when I double the dimensions of the cube (using the same material)?

Doubles

2) This Greek letter is used to express a change or difference in values, in the upper case. A triangular area of alluvial deposit at the mouth of a river is named after this letter, because its shape resembles this letter in the upper case. Which letter is this?

Delta

3) Which metal has atomic weight about 50 and is named after the Norse goddess of beauty and fertiliy Freyja. This element is very well-known to all PF-users.

Vanadium

4) The meaning of this word is "A marsh at the inlet or outlet of a lake or a river". It is from a Cajun version of Choctaw word for creek. It is also part of the name for a restaurent on the Pirates of the Carribean at Disneyland.

Bayou

5) Which band performed the great song "Born on the Bayou"?

CCR

6) What number can be measured with the Buffon Needle Experiment?

Pi

7) Pi has been said to have the property that all finite sequences occur with equal probability in the decimal expansion of pi. This property of pi has not yet been proven. What do we call a number with these properties?

normal

8) What is the effect called that hot water may freeze faster than cold water?

Mpemba effect

9) Why is it easy to lose cell phone reception when traveling over a hill or down a valley, but the radio keeps playing without interruption?

Different wavelengths

10) In 1954 Soviet surgeon Vladimir Demikhov surgically created what animal that shocked the world?

Two headed dog

11) This solar system object was once a dwarf planet in the Kuiper belt. It is now locked in a retrograde orbit around Neptune. It is the coldest object that has yet been measured in the solar system with estimated temperatures of 38K. What object is this?

Triton

12) Helium, neon, argon, krypton, xenon and radon are collectively known as "Noble Gases", and do not react easily to form compounds. Out of these, which one is present in the largest amount in the air we breathe?

Argon

13) One way to create darkness is by repelling light. Lene Hau was the first person able to stop light completely in 2001. She accomplished this by sending light beams through super cooled atoms that had reached what state of matter?

Bose-Einstein condensate

14) Where in the human body would you find erythrocytes, leucocytes and platelets?

Blood

15) General Sherman, the world's largest living organism (in terms of volume) at the beginning of the 21st century, is a ...

Tree

16) What are Alnitak, Alnilam and Mintaka known for?

Stars in Orions belt

17) What was the maiden name of Buzz Aldrin's mother?

Moon

18) The Milky Way is part of a much larger cluster of galaxies. What is the name of this group?

Virgo supercluster

19) What event lasts approximately 26000 years and was first discovered by Hipparchus?

Precession of the equinoxes

20) All the continents on the Earth at one time were part of one super continent before plate tectonics began breaking them apart. The name given to this continent was of course Pangea. But what was the name of the ocean surrounding Pangea?

Panthalassa

21) Chicxulub is a town in the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico. What is located near this town that bears the same name?

Crater that wiped out the dinosaurs

22) How many integers are there in the pH scale?

23) What islands would you associate H.M.S Beagle with?

Galapagos Islands

24) The idea that everything is made up of a few simple parts originated during the 400's B.C., in the philosophy of atomism. Atomism was founded by which Greek Philosopher?

Demicritus

25) Lead is to plumbum as antimony is to

Stibium

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook