1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trivial Eigenspace

1. Apr 13, 2006 #1
    What's a "trivial eigenspace"?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2006 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Put it in context. Probably something to do with 0, and probably 0 as a vector.

4. Apr 14, 2006 #3
    "Let V be a vector space of dimension n over a field F, and let T:V->V be linear. Let R={linear transformations V->V that commute with T}.

Suppose T is diagonalisable, show that T is a commutative ring <=> all non-trivial eigenspaces of T are one-dimensional."

I just need to know what "non-trivial" means in this case. We defined the 0 vector to NOT be an eigenvector.

5. Apr 14, 2006 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

0 is not en eigenVECTOR, agreed, but as a subvector space 0 is an eigenSPACE, the trivial eigenspace.

6. Apr 15, 2006 #5
    How do I show that R is commutative <=> the minimal and characteristic polynomials of T are the same? (T might not be diagonalizable)

7. Apr 16, 2006 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

does that mean you've done the first question?

There is no harm in passing to the algebraic closure of your field if it helps you to think about it. Put everythin in jordan form, what can you say about the commuting matrices? just to give you some idea of how to use the difference between the minimal and characeristic poly.

8. Apr 16, 2006 #7
    Yes, I did the first question. I've got an idea about the second one that doesn't involve Jordan forms, but I'm still working on it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?