Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Trivial power series question

1. Feb 23, 2012 #1
    How do I find the power series for [itex]z^7[/itex]?

I can't remember.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What would be the coefficient for the constant term?
    What would be the coefficient for the z term?
    What would be the coefficient for the z2 term?

4. Feb 23, 2012 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you mean the power series expansion around a point that's not 0, say around z=1, then write z^7=((z-1)+1)^7 and expand that.

5. Feb 23, 2012 #4
    Around zero. I have been looking through Rudin and Rosenlicht but I don't see an example of what I am looking for.

6. Feb 23, 2012 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then what are you looking for? z^7 IS the power series for the function f(z)=z^7 around z=0.

7. Feb 23, 2012 #6
    $$
    f(z) = \frac{1}{2\pi i}\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}\left[\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{u^7}{u^{n + 1}}du z^n\right] = z^7.
    $$

I want to show the above equality. I know since u^7 is analytic in the unit disk, g will be the same as f. But is there a way to show that without stating this?

8. Feb 23, 2012 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, the integral is zero unless n=7, isn't it? The integral of u^k is zero unless k=(-1). And I'm assuming you actually meant a contour integral around the origin, not u=0 to u=2pi.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  9. Feb 23, 2012 #8
    u is a complex number and u^7 is analytic and continuous.

Only difference I am dealing with u^7 not the conjugate.

10. Feb 23, 2012 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[itex]\int_C \frac{u^7}{u^{n + 1}}du=\int_C u^{7 - n - 1}du[/itex]. That's zero unless the exponent is -1 which happens when n=7.

11. Feb 23, 2012 #10
    Ok, I understand now, thanks.

12. Feb 23, 2012 #11
    Ok so if the function was 1/u, we would have u^{-n-2}. This one would always be 0 then?

13. Feb 23, 2012 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure, but f(u)=1/u doesn't have a power series expansion around 0 with only positive powers. You'd need a Laurent series instead of a power series to represent it.

14. Feb 23, 2012 #13
    If we haven't done Laurent Series yet, how should I handle it then?

15. Feb 23, 2012 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't. f(z)=1/z doesn't have a power series expansion around z=0. f(z) has to be analytic at z=0 to have a power series expansion. 1/z isn't analytic at z=0.

16. Feb 23, 2012 #15
    Evaluating the sum and the integral for it yields f(z) = 0. Is that correct to put down after evaluating f(z) since all the terms are 0?

17. Feb 23, 2012 #16

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

All of the terms in your series are zero, yes. But that still doesn't make f(z)=1/z=0. I'm not sure you are paying attention here.

18. Feb 23, 2012 #17
    I understand what you are saying but I am trying to solve for
    $$
    f(z) = \frac{1}{2\pi i}\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}\left[\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{\frac{1}{u}}{u^{n + 1}}du z^n\right].
    $$
    Since Laurent series are out and all the terms are 0, what else could f(z) be?

19. Feb 23, 2012 #18

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I am trying to tell you that the series you are quoting is NOT valid for all functions f(z). f(z) has to be analytic at z=0 to apply that. f(z)=1/z is NOT analytic at z=0. I've already told you this.

20. Feb 23, 2012 #19
    By the integral transform theorem, if you put a continuous function g(u) into f(z), you get out an analytic function. If g is analytic, you get the same function. So f(z) has to equal something.

21. Feb 23, 2012 #20

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not quite sure why this is so difficult. 1/u is continuous on the contour. And yes, you get an analytic function out. It's f(z)=0. Now you say "If g is analytic, you get the same function.". g(u)=1/u ISN'T analytic at u=0. So the function you get out f(z)=0, ISN'T the same as the function you put in f(z)=1/z.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook