1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trivial power series question

1. Feb 23, 2012 #1
    How do I find the power series for [itex]z^7[/itex]?

I can't remember.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What would be the coefficient for the constant term?
    What would be the coefficient for the z term?
    What would be the coefficient for the z2 term?

4. Feb 23, 2012 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you mean the power series expansion around a point that's not 0, say around z=1, then write z^7=((z-1)+1)^7 and expand that.

5. Feb 23, 2012 #4
    Around zero. I have been looking through Rudin and Rosenlicht but I don't see an example of what I am looking for.

6. Feb 23, 2012 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then what are you looking for? z^7 IS the power series for the function f(z)=z^7 around z=0.

7. Feb 23, 2012 #6
    $$
    f(z) = \frac{1}{2\pi i}\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}\left[\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{u^7}{u^{n + 1}}du z^n\right] = z^7.
    $$

I want to show the above equality. I know since u^7 is analytic in the unit disk, g will be the same as f. But is there a way to show that without stating this?

8. Feb 23, 2012 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, the integral is zero unless n=7, isn't it? The integral of u^k is zero unless k=(-1). And I'm assuming you actually meant a contour integral around the origin, not u=0 to u=2pi.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  9. Feb 23, 2012 #8
    u is a complex number and u^7 is analytic and continuous.

Only difference I am dealing with u^7 not the conjugate.

10. Feb 23, 2012 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[itex]\int_C \frac{u^7}{u^{n + 1}}du=\int_C u^{7 - n - 1}du[/itex]. That's zero unless the exponent is -1 which happens when n=7.

11. Feb 23, 2012 #10
    Ok, I understand now, thanks.

12. Feb 23, 2012 #11
    Ok so if the function was 1/u, we would have u^{-n-2}. This one would always be 0 then?

13. Feb 23, 2012 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure, but f(u)=1/u doesn't have a power series expansion around 0 with only positive powers. You'd need a Laurent series instead of a power series to represent it.

14. Feb 23, 2012 #13
    If we haven't done Laurent Series yet, how should I handle it then?

15. Feb 23, 2012 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't. f(z)=1/z doesn't have a power series expansion around z=0. f(z) has to be analytic at z=0 to have a power series expansion. 1/z isn't analytic at z=0.

16. Feb 23, 2012 #15
    Evaluating the sum and the integral for it yields f(z) = 0. Is that correct to put down after evaluating f(z) since all the terms are 0?

17. Feb 23, 2012 #16

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

All of the terms in your series are zero, yes. But that still doesn't make f(z)=1/z=0. I'm not sure you are paying attention here.

18. Feb 23, 2012 #17
    I understand what you are saying but I am trying to solve for
    $$
    f(z) = \frac{1}{2\pi i}\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}\left[\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{\frac{1}{u}}{u^{n + 1}}du z^n\right].
    $$
    Since Laurent series are out and all the terms are 0, what else could f(z) be?

19. Feb 23, 2012 #18

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I am trying to tell you that the series you are quoting is NOT valid for all functions f(z). f(z) has to be analytic at z=0 to apply that. f(z)=1/z is NOT analytic at z=0. I've already told you this.

20. Feb 23, 2012 #19
    By the integral transform theorem, if you put a continuous function g(u) into f(z), you get out an analytic function. If g is analytic, you get the same function. So f(z) has to equal something.

21. Feb 23, 2012 #20

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not quite sure why this is so difficult. 1/u is continuous on the contour. And yes, you get an analytic function out. It's f(z)=0. Now you say "If g is analytic, you get the same function.". g(u)=1/u ISN'T analytic at u=0. So the function you get out f(z)=0, ISN'T the same as the function you put in f(z)=1/z.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook