• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Trivial question on differentiating logarithms

In error analysis however, we work with squares and the sign disappears.
No, they don't. In post #2, BvU misunderstood what you were asking about.
So which is it now I wonder...

A cruel offtop was here. I should have read initial topic carefully. Sorry

Last edited:

BvU

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
We have a few issues happily mixing up to a very confusing thread o0)
  • differentiation
  • propagation of errors linearly
  • propagation of errors in quadrature
  • [edit] and now wrobel on logatrithms ... oh boy :rolleyes:
Mark is into differentiation and makes no mistakes (except perhaps slightly overlooking the error analysis context as hinted at in #2 and confirmed in #3)

Your book adds errors linearly and vela and I are in the quadrature camp - so we slightly missed noticing the different approach in your book (as obvious from #14).

My motto is 'try a simple example'.

To avoid sign issues I multiply ##A \pm \Delta A ## and ##B \pm \Delta B ##. Result ##AB##.

Worst case down ##(A - \Delta A) (B- \Delta B) = AB - B\Delta A- A\Delta B ## to first order in ##\Delta## (i.e. assuming ##\Delta A \Delta B << ## other terms).

Worst case up ##(A + \Delta A) (B+ \Delta B) = AB + B\Delta A+ A\Delta B ##.

So worst case ##{\Delta AB\over AB} = {\Delta A\over A} + {\Delta B\over B}## -- as in your book I hope.

Check this two ways:
  1. in excel multiply ##100 \pm 5 ## and ##120 \pm 12 ## or something in Excel or on a calculator.
  2. on a piece of paper draw a rectangle of 100 x 120 and the lines at 95, 105 and 108, 132
Worst case is pessimistic: if the errors are independent the probability that both are way off is smaller: the probability distributions have to be combined and then the squares come in.

You can imagine the probability distribution around the 100 as a vertical shading in gray-ish with the darkest grey at 100 and a bit lighter further away. Idem horizontally at 120.
The probability distribution of the product then becomes a gaussian hat around 100x120.

Hmm, googling some picturesmight be useful here. No time now. Work :frown:

Lets first synchronize at this point -- all clear and all agreed ? :nb)