1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trivial question!

1. Nov 5, 2006 #1
    Can a zero matrix be considered as nilpotent matrix?
    Zero matrix raised to any positive power is zero matrix, so can it be considered nilpotent (with index of nilpotency being 1)? I have read the definition of the nilpotent matrix and it doesn't that say that a matrix has to different from 0, but I'm still confused...
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2006 #2
    sure, you can say that the zero matrix is nilpotent, but that would be considered the trivial case. i.e., if you are asked to find a nilpotent matrix satisfying some properties, using the zero matrix will probably not get you credit for solving the question.
  4. Nov 6, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why are you confused? Another characterization of "nilpotent" is that a matrix is nilpotent if and only if its eigenvalues are all 0. That is certainly true of the 0 matrix. The 0 matrix is definitely nilpotent.
  5. Nov 8, 2006 #4
    Thank you!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?