What mistake did I make in proving that all tangent bundles are trivial?

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to prove that all tangent bundles are trivial, but finding a mistake in the proof. It is mentioned that the proof is correct if the manifold can be covered by one coordinate chart, but this is not very interesting. The idea of extending vector fields to the north and south poles on a manifold is also discussed as an example of where things can go wrong. The main point is that when choosing local coordinates, the tangent bundle is only trivialized over that open set and cannot be extended to the entire manifold, which is the basic obstruction to trivializing the tangent bundle.
eok20
In trying to understand why not all tangent bundles are trivial, I've attempted to prove that they are all trivial and see where things go wrong. Unfortunately, I finished the proof and cannot find my mistake. Here it is:

Let M be an n-manifold with coordinate charts [tex](U_\alpha, \phi_\alpha)[/tex]. Therefore [tex](\pi^{-1}(U_\alpha), \tilde{\phi_\alpha})[/tex] are charts for TM where [tex]\pi[/tex] is the projection map and [tex]\tilde{\phi_\alpha}(p, v^i \frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}\vert_p) = (\phi(p),v^1, \ldots, v^n)[/tex]. I claim that the map F from TM to M x R^n given by [tex]F(p, v^i \frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}\vert_p) = (p, v^1, \ldots, v^n)[/tex] is a diffeomorphism. Clearly F is bijective so it is sufficient to check that F is a local diffeomorphism. Thus let [tex](p, v^i \frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}\vert_p)[/tex] be an arbitrary point in TM. [tex]p \in U_\alpha[/tex] for some [tex]\alpha[/tex] so [tex]\pi^{-1}(U_\alpha)[/tex] is an open set (indeed a chart) of TM containing [tex](p, v^i \frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}\vert_p)[/tex] and [tex]F(\pi^{-1}(U_\alpha)) = U_\alpha \times R^n[/tex] is a chart of M x R^n. But the restriction of F to [tex]\pi^{-1}(U_\alpha)[/tex] is [tex](\phi_\alpha^{-1} \times Id_{R^n}) \circ \tilde{\phi_\alpha}[/tex], which is a diffeomorphism (being a composition of diffeomorphisms).

Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The basic idea is that when you write
[tex](p, v^i \frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}\vert_p)[/tex]
you've already chosen an open set which is diffeomorphic to an open set in Euclidean space. Thus if your manifold can be covered by one coordinate chart, your proof is entirely correct (though manifolds with this property are not very interesting).

Here's an idea of what can go wrong: consider [tex]S^2[/tex] minus the north and south poles. Put spherical coordinates on it, and consider the standard basis for the tangent space in spherical coordinates. What happens if you try to extend these vector fields to the north and south poles?

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm pretty sure I get what you're saying: I'm basically defining the "diffeomorphism" locally and when I go to show that it is a local diffeomorphism, I'm using a specific chart for a given point but for other points in the chart, the function may have been defined using a different chart. Like in the case of the sphere, if I use spherical coordinates for everything but the poles, then whatever charts I use with the poles will overlap with the spherical coordinates.

Not really. When you choose local coordinates, you are trivializing the tangent bundle over that open set - diffeomorphism induces isomorphism on the tangent bundle. But this diffeomorphism (and hence the bijection you referred to) are local in character - when you write down a basis for the tangent space, it's not guaranteed that the basis will extend to the entire manifold - in the sphere example, there's no way to extend the vector fields beyond the coordinate chart, which is the basic obstruction to trivializing the tangent bundle.

1. What is a trivial tangent bundle?

A trivial tangent bundle is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry, which is the study of curved spaces. It is a type of vector bundle that associates each point on a manifold (a type of topological space) with a tangent space, or a set of all possible directions from that point. In a trivial tangent bundle, all the tangent spaces are identical to each other, making it a simple and easily understood mathematical object.

2. How is a trivial tangent bundle different from a non-trivial tangent bundle?

A non-trivial tangent bundle has different tangent spaces at different points on the manifold, while a trivial tangent bundle has identical tangent spaces at every point. This means that in a non-trivial tangent bundle, the direction of a vector at one point may be different from the direction of the same vector at a different point, while in a trivial tangent bundle, the direction of a vector is consistent throughout the manifold.

3. What are some real-world applications of trivial tangent bundles?

Trivial tangent bundles have many applications in physics, particularly in the study of fields and forces. They are also used in the study of dynamical systems, such as in the analysis of chaotic behavior. Additionally, trivial tangent bundles are used in the study of manifolds, which have applications in fields such as robotics, computer graphics, and computer vision.

4. How is a trivial tangent bundle represented mathematically?

A trivial tangent bundle is represented by the product space M x R^n, where M is the manifold and R^n is the set of all possible directions at each point. This means that each point on the manifold is associated with an n-dimensional vector space, which represents the tangent space at that point.

5. Are there any limitations to using trivial tangent bundles?

While trivial tangent bundles are useful for understanding certain mathematical concepts, they may not accurately represent the real world in all cases. This is because in many real-world scenarios, tangent spaces may vary from point to point. Additionally, trivial tangent bundles may not be able to fully capture the complexity of highly curved spaces, as they assume a constant direction at every point.