Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triviality of Ideals in M(n,R).

1. Oct 31, 2014 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi All,
    I am trying to show that the only ideals in M (2, ## \mathbb R ##) , the ring of 2x2 matrices with Real entries are the trivial ones.

I have a proof, but I am being kind of lazy rigorizing it. We know we cannot have any matrix in GL(n,##\mathbb R ##), because we can then get the identity and we end up with the whole ring. Basically then, we take any
    non-invertible matrix m and we show we can find matrices A,A' in M (2, ## \mathbb R ##) so that Am + Am' is invertible. Is there a way of tightening this?

I thought of using the result that maybe either GL(n, ## \mathbb R ## ), or maybe
    M (2,##\mathbb R ##) acts transitively on the left on M (2, ## \mathbb R ##) by multiplication. Is this result true?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2014 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Certainly ##GL(2,\mathbb{R})## does not act transitively on ##M(2,\mathbb{R})##. For if ##A## is not invertible, and ##M## is invertible, then ##X = MA## is not invertible (if it were, then ##A = M^{-1}X## would also be invertible). Therefore, if ##A## is not invertible and ##B## is invertible, then ##A## and ##B## are not in the same orbit under this action.

##M(2,\mathbb{R})## is not a group with respect to multiplication, so you have to clarify what you mean by "##M(2,\mathbb{R})## acts on the left".

I don't know of an especially clean proof; the elementary one is straightforward: if ##A \in M(2,\mathbb{R})## has a nonzero entry in row ##i##, column ##j##, then we can premultiply and postmultiply by appropriate elements of ##M(2,\mathbb{R})## to obtain a matrix which has the same nonzero entry at ##i,j## and which has zeros everywhere else. If this nonzero entry is, say, ##a##, then we can multiply (on the left or right) by ##a^{-1}I## to get a matrix with ##1## at ##i,j## and ##0## elsewhere. Then we can move this ##1## wherever we like by multiplying on the left by a row-swapping matrix or on the right by a column-swapping matrix. Therefore, ##\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0\end{pmatrix}## and ##\begin{pmatrix}0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}## are in the ideal generated by ##A##, and as a result, so is ##I##. So the ideal contains a unit, and is therefore the whole ring.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  4. Oct 31, 2014 #3

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, sorry, I meant "act" in an informal sense, meaning given any A,B there is C with AC=B , and I meant on M(n,R)- GL(n, R).

5. Oct 31, 2014 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you were to make an argument using group actions, I think you would have to consider actions by multiplication on the left and on the right, because ##M(2,\mathbb{R})## does have nontrivial one-sided ideals. For example, the set of all matrices in ##M(2,\mathbb{R})## with zeros in the second column is a left ideal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook