Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

TRIzol reagent protocol (Life Technologies, Inc., Gaithersburg, MD)

1. Apr 12, 2005 #1
    I used TRIzol reagent protocol (Life Technologies, Inc., Gaithersburg, MD) for isolation of my human tumour total RNA and i wonder if there are any kits i can use to isolate mRNA from this suspension? I have looked in Qiagen and they only have kits for mRNA isolation from animal tissues and not human suspension. :frown:

THanks for any help.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:uhh: Humans are animals.

I'm not entirely sure what step you're stuck at. The protocol that comes with Trizol is pretty good and straightforward.

4. Apr 12, 2005 #3
    I am looking for a kit to extract mRNA from this total RNA suspension. The Quiagen kits are only for extracting mRNA directly from the tissues and not from total RNA suspension. :frown:

5. Apr 12, 2005 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you mean something like this?

http://www.superarray.com/newsletter/RNA.html

6. Apr 12, 2005 #5
    Thanks for that link.

Since you have read the protocol of Trizol. Do you know why i should incubate my RNA sample for 10 minutes at 55 to 60°C? This would degrade my RNA and how come i use it for further working?

The protocol says; "5. REDISSOLVING THE RNA
    At the end of the procedure, briefly dry the RNA pellet (air-dry or vacuum-dry for 5-10 minutes). Do not dry the RNA by centrifugation under vacuum. It is important not to let the RNA pellet dry completely as this will greatly decrease its solubility. Partially dissolved RNA samples have an A260/280 ratio < 1.6. Dissolve RNA in RNase-free water or 0.5% SDS solution by passing the solution a few times through a pipette tip, and incubating for 10 minutes at 55 to 60°C. (Avoid SDS when RNA will be used in subsequent enzymatic reactions.) RNA can also be redissolved in 100% formamide (deionized) and stored at -70°C."

http://www.invitrogen.com/content/sfs/manuals/15596026.pdf

Thanks.

7. Apr 12, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As far as I know, that's just to get it into solution faster.

8. Apr 12, 2005 #7

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The step at 55C is to get the RNA into solution faster. It is the same idea has with DNA. You will not see a significant degradation of RNA if you RNA was carefully resuspended with any material that is RNase free.

You may skip this step if you see that your RNA went into solution quickly after you added your dilutent.

9. Apr 13, 2005 #8
    The protocol says that i have to air-dry the isolated RNA. Would not this contaminate the sample with RNase and damage my RNA sample?

Thanks.

10. Apr 13, 2005 #9

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't air dry the tube right side up. Tube upside down or on its side will reduce the odds of contamination.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?