Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trojan removal help

1. Dec 20, 2008 #1
    hi i was just wondering if anyone could help me. my computer is heavily infection with trojans. I resently installed limewire and downloaded a compressed file....yes i have learnt my lesson and i shall never download a compressed file from limewire ever again.
    anyways. it was acouple of virus of the trojan sort. it started as just popping up advertisments (it said Ron ads by globaladsolution). then they increased and popped up like every second and the advertisments changed. then my computer started automatically downloaded things.
    i ran virus scans everyday and they all said was Packed.Generic. i couldnt clean them or delete them so i moved them to quarantine.

then the symantec antivirus started detecting trojan.Vundo and trojan.Vundo.B with counts of around 300 and when i turned on my computor the start menu didnt load and i had to use the task manager to open things. generally the start menu appeared when the internet was on and didn't when it was off but ther wer exceptions.

so i started looking for ways to get rid of it. i downloaded a symantec trojan.Vundo/.b remover. it said to turn off system restore but i couldnt find system restore in my computer propertiesn so i search my entire system for "system restore" and nothing came up. also my computer (in particular my internet) is extremely slow.

so yer my computer is pretty screwed and ill probably need to get it rebuilt but i cant do that untill antoher month and a half. is ther anything i can do to find system restore and/or get rid of all the freaking viruses.

heres a list of the types i have currently showing up on symantec.

any help is muchly appreciated. by the way the computer op system is XP pro version 2002 service pack 2.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2008 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm a big fan of a program called malwarebytes from malwarebytes.org. I ran it while in Safe Mode and was able to rescue my computer from a bad virus infestation (AntiVirus 2009 was one of the nasties). I found out about it by looking through some tech support forums (on another computer, as my browser was hijacked). I was able to download a free version on a flash drive and then transfer the program to my infected machine.
  4. Dec 21, 2008 #3

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try Avast......
  5. Dec 21, 2008 #4

Gold Member

6. Dec 21, 2008 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just an FYI, I tried avast first and it didn't fix the problem.
  7. Dec 21, 2008 #6

Staff: Mentor

Vundo is a particularly nasty adware trojan and it isn't picked up by regular virus software. It can be pretty difficult to eradicate, but there are people writing tools specificall for it: http://vundofix.atribune.org/
  8. Dec 21, 2008 #7
    Thats right...there are certain viruses/trojans that aren't picked up by general security scans. First, try looking up procedures for manually eliminating the list you have showing on symantec (each one individually). Then use software removal tools that have specific targets: one for worms, one for spyware, and so forth. Use another computer to get these tools (don't use the internet on your computer). Once you're sure your computer is safe, make sure you have a good security program. I also suggest you don't stick to limewire.

Here is a site that might help: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  9. Dec 21, 2008 #8

Homework Helper

Just a little question here, are viruses considered malware? I'm thinking of downloading some anti-malware programs but I don't know if they detect and disinfect viruses as well.
  10. Dec 26, 2008 #9

i downloaded malwarebytes and used it in safe mode and now my computer is working perfectly and all of the virus scans find no viruses.

verily apreciated.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?