1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Troll

1. Apr 24, 2004 #1
    Don't you think "troll" is such an overused word on the internet?

You say something someone doesn't agree with, and they accuse you of being a troll.

It's used as an insult.

Trolls use the word "troll".

I think the person who invented that word should think about the damage he has done to the internet. No matter what forum or chat I go into, I always see someone accusing someone else of being a troll.

Somebody has got to invent a new word.

In fact, anyone that can't think of a better word to use deserves anything he gets from a real troll. It should be a censored word on forums since it's used on every thread on some forums.

:frown:

I can't stand to see that word again.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2004 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,v :wink:

4. Apr 24, 2004 #3
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

So, what's the history of that word anyways? I don't remember seeing it during the 90's when the internet wasn't as common.

The good old days...

5. Apr 24, 2004 #4

jimmy p

Gold Member

Ummmmmmmmmmmm, I have never witnessed someone being callled a troll online. Isnt a troll a slimy Norse mythological creature. Or a fairytale character who lived under a bridge and didnt like billy goats gruff. What is being a "troll"?

6. Apr 24, 2004 #5

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

troll: noun, one who trolls; verb, to fish by dragging bait or a lure at low speed --- hence, the "internet troll" who fishes for attention by dragging controversial topics through groups of people on forums.

7. Apr 25, 2004 #6
    If you spend enough time on the idiot, you'll see it used a lot.

Annoying as hell. They've got to find a replacement. Luckily it doesn't appear that much on this site.

8. Apr 25, 2004 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Trolls were not,in general, slimy, but they usually had a couple of firs growing behind their ears.
    When exposed to the sun, most of them were turned to stone (that's why we have so many mountains in Norway!).
    In a similar vein, perhaps one should expose the modern day trolls to piercing rays of logic?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?