Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Troll

1. Apr 24, 2004 #1
    Don't you think "troll" is such an overused word on the internet?

You say something someone doesn't agree with, and they accuse you of being a troll.

It's used as an insult.

Trolls use the word "troll".

I think the person who invented that word should think about the damage he has done to the internet. No matter what forum or chat I go into, I always see someone accusing someone else of being a troll.

Somebody has got to invent a new word.

In fact, anyone that can't think of a better word to use deserves anything he gets from a real troll. It should be a censored word on forums since it's used on every thread on some forums.

:frown:

I can't stand to see that word again.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2004 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,troll,v :wink:

4. Apr 24, 2004 #3
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

So, what's the history of that word anyways? I don't remember seeing it during the 90's when the internet wasn't as common.

The good old days...

5. Apr 24, 2004 #4

jimmy p

Gold Member

Ummmmmmmmmmmm, I have never witnessed someone being callled a troll online. Isnt a troll a slimy Norse mythological creature. Or a fairytale character who lived under a bridge and didnt like billy goats gruff. What is being a "troll"?

6. Apr 24, 2004 #5

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

troll: noun, one who trolls; verb, to fish by dragging bait or a lure at low speed --- hence, the "internet troll" who fishes for attention by dragging controversial topics through groups of people on forums.

7. Apr 25, 2004 #6
    If you spend enough time on the idiot, you'll see it used a lot.

Annoying as hell. They've got to find a replacement. Luckily it doesn't appear that much on this site.

8. Apr 25, 2004 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Trolls were not,in general, slimy, but they usually had a couple of firs growing behind their ears.
    When exposed to the sun, most of them were turned to stone (that's why we have so many mountains in Norway!).
    In a similar vein, perhaps one should expose the modern day trolls to piercing rays of logic?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?