Trouble determining the slope of the graph

• Thread starter riseofphoenix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph Slope
In summary, my Excel program keeps crashing and I don't know who else to turn to because this is due very very soon. I got the slope correct, but B is wrong.
riseofphoenix
PHYSICSNUMBER1_zps52f97704.png

For the slope, I got 0.4532 and for B, I got 74.09, but they're both wrong! And my excel program keeps crashing everytime i try to print screen it!
This is really urgent and I don't know who else to turn to because this is due very very soon and I'm desperate!

Also, what about this one:

PHYSICSNUMBER2_zps14e71c66.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your R^2 value and see if it is close to 1. When I plot your values I don't get anything near 0.4 for the gradient. Does your answer require a specific set of units?

rock.freak667 said:
Check your R^2 value and see if it is close to 1. When I plot your values I don't get anything near 0.4 for the gradient. Does your answer require a specific set of units?

No :(
My computer keeps acting up whenever I try to print screen and save the excel file...
What numbers did you get?

You still there?

Around 0.008 N/cm or so.

rock.freak667 said:
Around 0.008 N/cm or so.

I submitted "0.008 N/cm" but webassign says it's incorrect :( :'(
That must mean my B is wrong too... :(

You might actually need to post your excel graph so we can see what is happening.

Try 0.85 N/m.

Also, I don't think that the parameter you call "length" is not the actual length of the wire, since, on the graph, when the force goes to zero, the "length" goes to zero. Therefore, I can only conclude that the parameter that your teacher called length in the table is actually displacement relative to the length under no load. If the parameter really is displacement, then you can add the point 0,0 to your graph for added accuracy.

Chestermiller said:
Try 0.85 N/m.

Also, I don't think that the parameter you call "length" is not the actual length of the wire, since, on the graph, when the force goes to zero, the "length" goes to zero. Therefore, I can only conclude that the parameter that your teacher called length in the table is actually displacement relative to the length under no load. If the parameter really is displacement, then you can add the point 0,0 to your graph for added accuracy.

Oh it worked! Thanks!

So all I need for B is do,

B = Faverage / IaverageLaverage
B = (0.02075)/(892.75 mA)(0.02525 m)
B = 0.02075/22.54
B = 0.000920586
B = 920 T

Fot Question 2,

I got the slope correct. It's 0.0339.

But how do I find B, given L = 4.1 cm?

This is what I did (I chose any value for F and I from the table):
B = F/IL
B = (0.0158 N) / (0.48 A)(0.041)
B = 0.0158/0.01968
B = 0.802 N/a

"INCORRECT"

:(

You still there? :(

Chestermiller said:
Try 0.85 N/m.

You still there? :(

Oh no :( :( :(

Can someone please help me?

Anybody still here?

1. What does the slope of a graph represent?

The slope of a graph represents the rate of change between two variables. It shows how much one variable changes in relation to the other variable.

2. How do I calculate the slope of a graph?

The slope can be calculated by taking the difference in the y-values (vertical axis) and dividing it by the difference in the x-values (horizontal axis) between two points on the graph. This is also known as "rise over run".

3. Why is it important to determine the slope of a graph?

The slope of a graph is important because it provides valuable information about the relationship between two variables. It can help predict future trends, make comparisons, and identify patterns in the data.

4. What does a positive/negative slope indicate?

A positive slope indicates a direct relationship between the two variables, meaning that as one variable increases, the other also increases. A negative slope indicates an inverse relationship, where as one variable increases, the other decreases.

5. What are some common mistakes when determining the slope of a graph?

Some common mistakes include using the wrong units for the x and y values, miscalculating the rise and run, and misinterpreting the direction of the slope. It's important to check your calculations and make sure they align with the graph and the relationship between the variables.