Proving Trigonometric Identities: Solving Challenging Pre-Calculus Problems

• Thread starter BWL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary, the first problem can be solved by noting that cos^2(x)=[sin(x)]/cos(x), and the second problem can be solved by noting that sin^2(x)+cos^2(x)=1 and that cos^2(x) times 1/cos^2(x) is 1.
BWL
I know this is below most of those that peruse these forums, but I've been giving myself an ulcer trying to figure these silly things out.

The first problem starts out as
(1-sin^2(x))(1+tan^2(x))=1
and I've got it down to
(sin^2(x)/tan^2(x))-sin^2(x)=1
but from there I've got no idea.

The second was
(1+cot(x))/csc(x)=(1+tan(x))/sec(x)
and I've got the right side down to
(cos/1)+(1/csc)
but how that becomes (1+cot(x))/csc(x)is beyond me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by BWL
I know this is below most of those that peruse these forums, but I've been giving myself an ulcer trying to figure these silly things out.

The first problem starts out as
(1-sin^2(x))(1+tan^2(x))=1
and I've got it down to
(sin^2(x)/tan^2(x))-sin^2(x)=1
but from there I've got no idea.

The second was
(1+cot(x))/csc(x)=(1+tan(x))/sec(x)
and I've got the right side down to
(cos/1)+(1/csc)
but how that becomes (1+cot(x))/csc(x)is beyond me.
For the first: it becomes cos^2(x)sec^2(x)=1, and since cos(x)=1/sec(x) you get 1=1 and it checks out. (1+tan^2(x)=sec^2(x), and 1-sin^2(x)=cos^2(x)

Ok, for the second, first we simplify both sides (on their own! we don't relate them, but merely simplify)
(1+cos/sin)sin=(1+sin/cos)cos (I have dropped the (x) for easy of typing, you get what I mean though)
distributing on both sides yields
sin+cos=cos+sin

It is important to note that you can manipulate one side to a point, and then manipulate the other to that same point and that is completely valid! Just make sure to manipulate within itself! To do otherwise is to assume they are equal, thus destroying the purpose of the proof in the first place.

Possible solution to the first problem.

Are you trying to prove that your first equation is an identity?

If so, note that since sin^2(x)+cos^2(x)=1, you have that 1-sin^2(x) = cos^2(x). Then note that since tan(x)=[sin(x)]/cos(x), you have that tan^2(x)=[sin^2(x)]/cos^2(x), so that 1+tan^2(x)=1+[sin^2(x)]/cos^2(x)=[cos^2(x) + sin^2(x)]/cos^2(x)=1/cos^2(x).

So the product of the two terms is cos^2(x) times 1/cos^2(x) which is 1, as was to be proved.

Thanks for the help, really. The teacher decided giving us a unit test on this stuff the day we got back from spring break was a good idea.

What is pre-calculus and why is it important?

Pre-calculus is a branch of mathematics that covers topics such as algebra, trigonometry, and analytic geometry. It serves as a foundation for higher level math courses, such as calculus, and is important for understanding complex mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills.

What is a proof in pre-calculus and how do I write one?

A proof is a logical argument that demonstrates the validity of a mathematical statement. In pre-calculus, proofs are often used to show the steps and reasoning behind a solution to a problem. To write a proof, you must start with a given statement or assumption and use logical reasoning and mathematical principles to arrive at a conclusion.

Why do students struggle with proofs in pre-calculus?

Proofs can be challenging for students because they require a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and the ability to think abstractly. They also often involve multiple steps and require attention to detail. It is important for students to practice and seek help from their teacher or peers if they are struggling with proofs.

How can I improve my skills in solving proofs?

Practice is key to improving your skills in solving proofs. Start with simple problems and work your way up to more complex ones. It is also helpful to understand the underlying concepts and principles that are used in proofs. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher or tutor can provide valuable guidance and feedback.

What resources are available for students struggling with proofs in pre-calculus?

There are many resources available for students struggling with proofs in pre-calculus. These include textbooks, online tutorials and videos, practice problems, and study groups with peers. Your teacher and school may also offer extra help sessions or one-on-one tutoring. It is important to take advantage of these resources and seek help when needed.