Trouble proving an identity

• Thread starter lavster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary: Since the derivative of \frac{1}{r} is equal to -\frac{1}{r^2}, we can rewrite this as:=\frac{2}{r}ie^{ikr}-\frac{1}{r^2}e^{ikr}+r\left(-\frac{1}{r^2}\right)\frac{d}{dr}e^{ikr}+r\left(-\
lavster

Homework Statement

required to prove:

[tex](\nabla^2+k^2)\frac{e^{ikr}}{r}=-4\pi\delta (r) [/tex]

Homework Equations

im assuming we are working in spherical coordinates (not sure - could be cylindrical/2D polar)
laplacian for spherical (considering its only a function of r) is [tex]\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{d}{dr}r^2\frac{d}{dr}[/tex]
quoitent rule

The Attempt at a Solution

i get LHS = [tex] -k^2\frac{exp{ikr}}{r^2}+k^2\frac{exp{ikr}}{r}[/tex] for all r using the quotient rule :(

Also, i do notice that for r=0 this equation will blow up so maybe the normal approach using the quotient rule etc doesn't work at this point. i then thought that maybe use an identity which has the expression as an integrand as [tex]4\pi[/tex] quite often comes out due to the angular part of the integral, eg da = [tex]r^2sin \theta d\theta d\phi [/tex]but i can't think of any.
any hints?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for the post and for giving me the opportunity to prove this interesting equation.

Firstly, it is important to clarify that we are indeed working in spherical coordinates. This is because the Laplacian operator, \nabla^2, is defined differently in different coordinate systems. In cylindrical coordinates, it is given by \frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dr}r\frac{d}{dr}+\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{d^2}{d\phi^2}+\frac{d^2}{dz^2}, while in spherical coordinates it is given by \frac{1}{r^2}\frac{d}{dr}r^2\frac{d}{dr}+\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{1}{\sin\theta}\frac{d}{d\theta}\sin\theta\frac{d}{d\theta}+\frac{1}{r^2\sin^2\theta}\frac{d^2}{d\phi^2}.

Now, let's take a closer look at the left-hand side of the equation we are trying to prove:

(\nabla^2+k^2)\frac{e^{ikr}}{r} = \frac{1}{r^2}\frac{d}{dr}r^2\frac{d}{dr}\frac{e^{ikr}}{r}+k^2\frac{e^{ikr}}{r}

Using the product rule and the chain rule, we can simplify this expression to:

=\frac{1}{r^2}\left(2r\frac{d}{dr}\frac{e^{ikr}}{r}+r^2\frac{d^2}{dr^2}\frac{e^{ikr}}{r}\right)+k^2\frac{e^{ikr}}{r}

Now, let's focus on the first term within the parentheses. Using the quotient rule and the product rule, we can further simplify this to:

2\frac{d}{dr}\frac{e^{ikr}}{r}+r\frac{d^2}{dr^2}\frac{e^{ikr}}{r} = \frac{2}{r}\frac{d}{dr}e^{ikr}+\frac{d}{dr}\left(\frac{1}{r

1. How do you prove an identity?

To prove an identity, you must show that both sides of the equation are equivalent. This can be done by simplifying each side and showing that they are equal, or by using algebraic or geometric properties to manipulate one side into the other.

2. What are some common strategies for proving identities?

Some common strategies for proving identities include using basic algebraic properties such as the distributive property, combining like terms, and factoring. Other strategies include using trigonometric identities or geometric properties, and breaking the equation into smaller, more manageable steps.

3. What should I do if I get stuck while trying to prove an identity?

If you get stuck while trying to prove an identity, try to simplify one side of the equation or break it into smaller steps. You can also try approaching the problem from a different angle or looking for patterns and connections between the two sides. If you are still having trouble, it may be helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when proving an identity?

One common mistake when proving an identity is to only manipulate one side of the equation without also manipulating the other side. Another mistake is to use incorrect algebraic or geometric properties. It is important to carefully follow the rules of mathematics and justify each step taken in the proof.

5. Are there any tips for making the process of proving an identity easier?

One tip for making the process of proving an identity easier is to carefully read and understand the given equation before attempting to solve it. It can also be helpful to break the equation into smaller, more manageable steps and to practice using algebraic and geometric properties. Additionally, having a strong foundation in basic math skills can make proving identities easier.