Need Help with Solving an ODE in Calculus 1?

• Thread starter schapman22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, I am having trouble solving this ode, I wasn't sure if this should go under calculus section or differential equations section, but I figured since were given this in calculus 1 it belongs here. We just recently started learning integral calculus and I don't know a whole lot about differential equations. How would you solve this?
schapman22
I am having trouble solving this ode, I wasn't sure if this should go under calculus section or differential equations section, but I figured since were given this in calculus 1 it belongs here. We just recently started learning integral calculus and I don't know a whole lot about differential equations. How would you solve this?

dx/dt = 2000-500x/100

the answer is supposed to be X(t). Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Get all the x's to the dx/dt side, then integrate both sides. When I say integrate, I mean integrate the side with the x's in terms of x and integrate the other in terms of t. That will leave with something that you can use simple algebraic manipulation to get it into a explicit form.

When i tried that i got
dx/dt - 5x = 20
dx - 5x = 20 dt
∫dx - 5x = ∫20 dt
(5x^2)/2 = 20t
5x^2 = 40t
x^2 = 8
x = 2.828

am I on the right track here?

*x = 2.828t

Oh, I forgot to mention that you have to get some function of x to be multiplied by dx. In other words, dx/x is okay, but dx+x isn't. More generally, f(x)dx is okay, f(x)+dx isn't.

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}=2000-5x=5(400-x)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\frac{dx}{dt}}{400-x}=5[/tex]
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{400-x}=\int 5 dt[/tex]
and so on...

how would i do the integral of the left side?

Have you heard of a function called log(x)?

actually no

dx/dt = 2000-500x/100
=>dx/dt=20-5x
=>dx/20-5x=dt=>(dx/4-x)=5dt
Integrating it,-ln(4-x)=5t+k(integrating constant)
=>x=4-a*exp(-5t)
(ln(x) is one of the basic functions in maths)

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{400-x}[/tex] is a specific case of [tex]\int \frac{dx}{x}[/tex]. Given [tex]\int \frac{dx}{x} = ln(x)[/tex], you can solve it using substitution.

BTW, omkar13 is close but wrong. The correct answer can be found on Wolfram Alpha, if you want proof: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=dx/dt+=+2000-500x/100.

schapman22 said:
When i tried that i got
dx/dt - 5x = 20
dx - 5x = 20 dt
This is just bad algebra. If you start with dx/dt- 5x= 20 and multiply both sides by dt, you get dx- 5xdt= 20dt. However, the best thing to do is to go back to dx/dt= 5x+ 20, multiply both sides by dt and divide both sides by 5x+ 20: dx/(5x+20)= dt. Now let u= 5x+ 20 so that du= 5dx or dx= (1/5)du. The equation becomes (1/5) du/u= dt. Integrat both sides, then go back to x.

∫dx - 5x = ∫20 dt
(5x^2)/2 = 20t
No, "dx- 5x" (which was wrong anyway) is NOT -5xdx

5x^2 = 40t
x^2 = 8
x = 2.828

am I on the right track here?
Pretty much every thing you did, both algebra and Calculus, is wrong.

dude we just started on the integral in class you don't have to be douchebag I was just asking for help

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a type of mathematical equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives. It represents a relationship between a variable and its rate of change.

2. How do you solve an ODE?

The method for solving an ODE depends on its type and complexity. Some common techniques include separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. In some cases, numerical methods may also be used.

3. What are the applications of ODEs?

ODEs are used to model a wide range of physical, biological, and chemical phenomena. For example, they can be used to describe the motion of objects, population growth, and chemical reactions. They are also important in engineering and economics.

4. What are the initial conditions in an ODE?

The initial conditions in an ODE refer to the values of the unknown function and its derivatives at a specific point in time or space. These values are used as starting points for solving the equation and determining the behavior of the system.

5. Are there any software programs that can solve ODEs?

Yes, there are many software programs available that can solve ODEs, such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and Wolfram Alpha. These programs use numerical methods to approximate solutions to ODEs and can handle complex equations and systems of equations.