How do I solve this linear ODE using integration?

• Thread starter schapman22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a linear ODE using integration to find a function of t, x(t). The suggested method is to separate the variables and integrate, then find the integration constant and simplify the final result. The ODE is separable and can be solved by integrating with dx in the numerator. The conversation also includes clarification on the correct form of the equation and offers assistance with integrating.
schapman22

Homework Statement

dx/dt = 2000-500x/100

Solve this linear ODE using integration. You should get a function of t, x(t). This is the "analytical solution". Use the differential equation above, separate the variables, and then integrate to find x(t). Find the integration constant and simplify your final result.

Homework Equations

dx/dt = 2000-500x/100

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing this but do no think its correct

dx-5x = 20dt then I would integrate that.

Physics news on Phys.org
schapman22 said:

Homework Statement

dx/dt = 2000-500x/100

Solve this linear ODE using integration. You should get a function of t, x(t). This is the "analytical solution". Use the differential equation above, separate the variables, and then integrate to find x(t). Find the integration constant and simplify your final result.

Homework Equations

dx/dt = 2000-500x/100

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing this but do no think its correct

dx-5x = 20dt then I would integrate that.

As written, you DE is dx/dt = 2000 - 5x, so letting y = x-400 we have dy/dt = -5y, which is easy to solve.

However, perhaps you meant dx/dt = (2000 - 500x)/100 = 20 - 5x. If that is what you meant, that is what you should have written. Use brackets.

RGV

Sorry it was supposed to be dx/dt = (2000-500x)/100

can you help me solve it?

(2000-500x)/100 = 20 - 5x, for one thing.

The ODE is separable.

[itex]\displaystyle\frac{dx}{20 - 5x}=dt\,.[/itex]

Now, integrate both sides.

how do I integrate with dx in the numerator?

schapman22 said:

The nature of you questions has me wondering: what is your situation? Are you in a course that is far above your background level? Are you using a textbook that does not have any of this material in it? You are asking introductory questions that you should have seen discussed before. You can't learn the material from an on-line homework assistance site.

RGV

I am taking my first calculus course and haven't come across this before

schapman22 said:

Why wouldn't you integrate with dx in the numerator?

[tex]\int \frac{1}{20-5x}dx = \int dt[/tex]

[itex]\frac{dx}{20-5x} = \frac{1}{20-5x}dx[/itex] after all right?

schapman22 said:

[itex]\displaystyle\int\frac{dx}{20 - 5x}=dt[/itex]

Let u = 20 - 5x . → du =-5dx

We just started the integral so I don't know all of the integrating rules yet.

1. What is an ode?

An ode is a type of poem that praises or celebrates a person, place, or thing. It typically follows a specific structure and uses elevated language and imagery to convey the subject's beauty or significance.

2. What does it mean to solve an ode?

Solving an ode means interpreting the poem and understanding its meaning. This involves analyzing the structure, language, and imagery used by the poet to convey their message.

3. Why is it difficult to solve an ode?

Odes can be difficult to solve because they often use complex language and imagery, making it challenging to understand the poet's intended meaning. Additionally, odes can have multiple layers of meaning, making it necessary to analyze the poem in-depth.

4. What are some strategies for solving an ode?

One strategy for solving an ode is to read it multiple times, paying attention to the structure, language, and imagery used. It can also be helpful to research the historical or cultural context in which the poem was written. Additionally, consulting literary analysis guides or discussing the poem with others can provide further insight.

5. Can there be multiple interpretations of an ode?

Yes, there can be multiple interpretations of an ode. The beauty of poetry is that it can be interpreted in various ways, depending on the reader's perspective and background. It is essential to consider different interpretations when solving an ode to fully understand its meaning.