How to Correctly Take the Derivative of a Fraction with a Quadratic Denominator

• Thread starter PhizKid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses the derivative of the expression (y-1)/(y^2-y+1) and how to solve for it using different methods. The correct solution is (y^2-2y)/((y^2-y+1)^2) and the mistake was made due to confusion with the quotient rule and product rule. However, the mistake was eventually realized and the correct solution was provided.
PhizKid

Homework Statement

Derivative of [tex]\frac{y - 1}{y^2 - y + 1}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

d9DY1.png

The solution is [tex]\frac{y^2 - 2y}{(y^2 - y + 1)^2}[/tex] but in my work, the answer will have something to the 4th power on the top which will be impossible to cancel out. What have I done wrong?

Edit: Never mind, I see my mistake

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember: [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \frac{g(x)f'(x) - f(x)g'(x)}{g(x)^2}[/tex]

Yes but I don't like to work with the quotient rule. I should be getting the same answer using the product rule anyway, right?

Edit: Never mind, I see my mistake

That's fine.

Then, remember: [tex]-(y^2-y+1)^{-2} = -\frac{1}{(y^2-y+1)^2}[/tex]
(An expression to the -2 power doesn't equal 1/sqrt(expression))

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It measures how much the output of the function changes when the input is changed by a small amount. In other words, it represents the slope of the function at a specific point.

2. Why is taking a derivative important?

Taking a derivative is important because it allows us to analyze the behavior of a function and understand how it changes. It is also a key concept in calculus and is used to solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. What are some common errors when taking a derivative?

Some common errors when taking a derivative include forgetting to apply chain rule or product rule, mistaking the power rule, and making arithmetic mistakes. It is important to carefully follow the rules and double-check the calculations to avoid these errors.

4. How do I know when to use which rule when taking a derivative?

There are several rules for taking derivatives, such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. The choice of which rule to use depends on the form of the function. It is important to be familiar with these rules and practice applying them to different types of functions.

5. Can I use a calculator to take a derivative?

Yes, many calculators have the capability to take derivatives. However, it is important to understand the process of taking a derivative by hand in order to use a calculator effectively. Additionally, calculators may not always be accurate, so it is important to check the answer by hand if possible.