1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trouble taking a Square Root

1. Jul 23, 2006 #1
    Couldn’t decide if I should put this in the calculus or general math forums but...

I’m studying for a final that’s coming up this Wednesday and I’ve been looking at some past quizzes with the steps to finding the solutions that my instructor has posted online. Given the problem:

1. Compute the length of the curve~r(t) = (t^2, 2t, ln(t)), from t = 1 to t = e.

I understand that I need to take the integral from 1 to e of the sqrt( (dx/dt)^2 + (dy/dt)^2 + (dz/dt)^2) but unfortunately I’m having trouble taking the sqrt.

I get down to… *EDITED*sqrt( 4t^2 + 4 + ( 1/t^2 ) ) and I get stuck even with the answer and the steps in front of me. In the next step the problem gets simplified so as to have everything over a t^2 and then the sqrt is done and I’m left with the integral from 1 to e of (2t^2 + 1)/t.

I’m hoping someone could explain to me how sqrt( 4t^2 + 4 + ( 1/t ) ) becomes (2t^2 + 1)/t.

I’m ashamed I don’t know this but I don’t want to get stuck trying to do algebra on a calculus final.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2006 #2
    Well,

[tex]\sqrt{4t^2+4+\frac{1}{t}}[/tex]

doesn't reduce to

[tex]\frac{2t^2 +1}{t}.[/tex]

So it's good that you can't figure that out!

Your error was forgetting to square [tex]\frac{dz}{dt}[/tex].

4. Jul 23, 2006 #3
    Ack, I wish that was my problem but I actually just mistyped it up there.

I still don't see how sqrt( 4t^2 + 4 + ( 1/t^2 ) ) gets reduced to (2t^2 + 1)/t and I'm sure it's some simple step that I'm missing.

Sorry...

5. Jul 23, 2006 #4
    [tex]\sqrt{4t^2 + 4 + \frac{1}{t^2}} = \sqrt{\frac{4t^4 + 4t^2 + 1}{t^2}} = \frac{1}{t}\sqrt{4t^4+4t^2+1} = \frac{1}{t}\sqrt{(2t^2+1)^2} = \frac{2t^2+1}{t}[/tex] :smile:
    (for [itex]t > 0[/itex])

6. Jul 23, 2006 #5
    Thank you, I always got stuck at step 2. In fact at one point I was sitting there with sqrt( ( 2t^2 + 1)^2 / t^2 ) ) and was baffled...

Thanks again, the world makes sense now.

7. Jul 23, 2006 #6
    :rofl:
    happens to everyone sometimes.

Good :smile:. Don't be afraid to come back with more questions!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook