How can I simplify sqrt( 4t^2 + 4 + ( 1/t ) ) to (2t^2 + 1)/t?

In summary, the conversation is about a student studying for a calculus final and having trouble understanding a problem involving integration. They are specifically struggling with simplifying the expression sqrt( 4t^2 + 4 + ( 1/t^2 ) ) to (2t^2 + 1)/t. After receiving help and clarification, the student thanks the other person and feels more confident about the problem.
Peter5897
Couldn’t decide if I should put this in the calculus or general math forums but...

I’m studying for a final that’s coming up this Wednesday and I’ve been looking at some past quizzes with the steps to finding the solutions that my instructor has posted online. Given the problem:

1. Compute the length of the curve~r(t) = (t^2, 2t, ln(t)), from t = 1 to t = e.

I understand that I need to take the integral from 1 to e of the sqrt( (dx/dt)^2 + (dy/dt)^2 + (dz/dt)^2) but unfortunately I’m having trouble taking the sqrt.

I get down to… *EDITED*sqrt( 4t^2 + 4 + ( 1/t^2 ) ) and I get stuck even with the answer and the steps in front of me. In the next step the problem gets simplified so as to have everything over a t^2 and then the sqrt is done and I’m left with the integral from 1 to e of (2t^2 + 1)/t.

I’m hoping someone could explain to me how sqrt( 4t^2 + 4 + ( 1/t ) ) becomes (2t^2 + 1)/t.

I’m ashamed I don’t know this but I don’t want to get stuck trying to do algebra on a calculus final.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well,

[tex]\sqrt{4t^2+4+\frac{1}{t}}[/tex]

doesn't reduce to

[tex]\frac{2t^2 +1}{t}.[/tex]

So it's good that you can't figure that out!

Your error was forgetting to square [tex]\frac{dz}{dt}[/tex].

Last edited:
Ack, I wish that was my problem but I actually just mistyped it up there.

I still don't see how sqrt( 4t^2 + 4 + ( 1/t^2 ) ) gets reduced to (2t^2 + 1)/t and I'm sure it's some simple step that I'm missing.

Sorry...

[tex]\sqrt{4t^2 + 4 + \frac{1}{t^2}} = \sqrt{\frac{4t^4 + 4t^2 + 1}{t^2}} = \frac{1}{t}\sqrt{4t^4+4t^2+1} = \frac{1}{t}\sqrt{(2t^2+1)^2} = \frac{2t^2+1}{t}[/tex] :smile:
(for [itex]t > 0[/itex])

Last edited:
Thank you, I always got stuck at step 2. In fact at one point I was sitting there with sqrt( ( 2t^2 + 1)^2 / t^2 ) ) and was baffled...

Thanks again, the world makes sense now.

Peter5897 said:
In fact at one point I was sitting there with sqrt( ( 2t^2 + 1)^2 / t^2 ) ) and was baffled...

:rofl:
happens to everyone sometimes.

Peter5897 said:
Thanks again, the world makes sense now.

Good :smile:. Don't be afraid to come back with more questions!

1. Why do I have trouble taking a square root?

Taking a square root can be challenging because it involves finding the number that, when multiplied by itself, equals a given number. This requires a deep understanding of mathematical concepts such as exponents, radicals, and inverse operations.

2. What are some common mistakes when taking a square root?

Some common mistakes when taking a square root include forgetting to check for extraneous solutions, incorrectly applying the order of operations, or misinterpreting negative numbers. It is important to double-check your work and approach the problem systematically to avoid these errors.

3. How can I improve my skills in taking square roots?

The best way to improve your skills in taking square roots is through practice. Start with simpler problems and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. It is also helpful to review the fundamental concepts and properties of square roots to gain a better understanding of the process.

4. Are there any tricks or shortcuts for taking square roots?

While there are no shortcuts for taking square roots, there are some helpful tips and tricks that can make the process easier. For example, you can use the prime factorization method to simplify the radicand, or you can use perfect squares to estimate the value of a square root.

5. How is taking a square root related to other mathematical concepts?

Taking a square root is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as exponents, radicals, and inverse operations. Understanding these concepts and their relationships can help you better grasp the process of taking a square root and apply it to solving more complex mathematical problems.