Convergence or Divergence of Series with Non-Convergent Sinusoidal Term

• Thread starter Jbreezy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary: Gotcha. In summary, the series Ʃ 1/(2+sin(k)) from k = 1 to ∞ is not alternating, and therefore, the alternating series convergence test cannot be used. However, the series can be shown to be divergent using either the limit argument or the inequality 1 ≤ 2 + sin(k) ≤ 3.
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

Test the series for convergence or divergence

Homework Equations

A_n = Ʃ 1/(2+sin(k)) from k = 1 to ∞

The Attempt at a Solution

I looked at this and I thought that sin(k) does not have a limit as k goes to infinity. So I was thinking that Lim k--> ∞ A_n = Does not exist. So, the series is divergent. I origonally thought to use the alternating series test since A_n is alternating but I didn't really get anywhere. How is my reasoning with this problem? Right track or no? Thanks,
J

Physics news on Phys.org
Jbreezy said:

Homework Statement

Test the series for convergence or divergence

Homework Equations

A_n = Ʃ 1/(2+sin(k)) from k = 1 to ∞

The Attempt at a Solution

I looked at this and I thought that sin(k) does not have a limit as k goes to infinity. So I was thinking that Lim k--> ∞ A_n = Does not exist. So, the series is divergent. I origonally thought to use the alternating series test since A_n is alternating but I didn't really get anywhere. How is my reasoning with this problem? Right track or no? Thanks,
J

That is not an alternating series. Every term is positive. In the denominator you have ##1\le 2+\sin(k)\le 3##. Although your limit argument is OK, you can also use this inequality to understimate your series with an obviously divergent one.

Why isn't it alternating? I was thinking it was since sin(k) is cyclic. You know between -1 and 1.

##1\le 2+\sin(k)\le 3## You mean I want something smaller that diverges?

Jbreezy, what is the definition of an alternating series?

Alternates. A_n+1 < A_n and Limit n--> infinity is 0.

Jbreezy said:
Why isn't it alternating? I was thinking it was

Every term in the series is positive.

since sin(k) is cyclic. You know between -1 and 1.

It is true that ##\sin k## is between ##-1## and ##1##. But there is nothing "cyclic" about it, whatever you mean by cyclic.

##1\le 2+\sin(k)\le 3## You mean I want something smaller that diverges?

Yes, a smaller series which is divergent.

JBreezy, if, after as long as you have been posting, you can't bring yourself to quote the message to which you are replying, our conversation is going to be very short.

Jbreezy said:
Alternates. A_n+1 < A_n and Limit n--> infinity is 0.

No, an alternating series is one in which the sign of the terms changes every time n increases by 1. What you stated are the conditions required for the alternating series convergence test to be used, the conditions that are needed on top of the series being alternating.

So we go back to the question of: is this series alternating? Do the terms change sign every time? The answer to that is no: 1/(2+sin(k)) does not change signs every time k increases by 1.

Yeah. Followed.

1. What does "trouble to find the test" mean?

"Trouble to find the test" refers to the difficulty or challenge faced in locating or obtaining a specific test or assessment. It could also refer to the struggle in understanding or interpreting the results of a test.

2. Why is it important to find the right test?

Finding the right test is crucial because it ensures accurate and reliable results. Different tests are designed for specific purposes and using the wrong test can lead to incorrect conclusions or diagnoses.

3. What factors should be considered when choosing a test?

When choosing a test, factors such as the purpose of the assessment, the target population, the validity and reliability of the test, and the availability of resources should be taken into account. It is also important to consider any cultural or linguistic factors that may impact the results.

4. How can one overcome the challenge of finding the right test?

One can overcome the challenge of finding the right test by conducting thorough research and consulting with experts in the field. It is also helpful to have a clear understanding of the specific needs and goals of the assessment and to consider multiple options before making a decision.

5. What are some potential consequences of using the wrong test?

Using the wrong test can lead to inaccurate or incomplete results, which can have serious consequences. It can result in misdiagnoses, ineffective treatment plans, and incorrect evaluation of an individual's abilities or skills. It can also lead to wasted time and resources, and potentially harm the individual being assessed.