Trouble understanding how charge density is the amplitude squared

In summary, the square of the wave function represents the probability of finding a particle between two points. When considering the average charge between two points, it can be interpreted as the distribution of a fake charge in that space. In the case of an ionized hydrogen molecule, the electron's charge density is mostly between the two protons, resulting in a stronger attractive force from each proton's perspective.
box
A little while ago I posted a thread asking the same question but didn't really get an answer so I am going to try to rewrite it. I'm having trouble understanding how the charge density of an electron (or any particle) is the square of its wave function. One problem I have is when there are two protons and one electron who's amplitude is evenly spread on both protons. It seems to me that if the charge density is the square of the amplitude the charge of the electron should be split between both protons and they should feel a repulsive force because each proton is only half shielded. But I was told here and in the Feynman Lectures in physics that they don't repel for this reason because one proton is shielded (or screened). I haven't read any material that throughly discussed the charge density being the square of the amplitude so that might be my problem, but can anyone help me understand this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The square of the wave function is the probability of finding a particle between the points x and x + dx, right? Let's suppose I want to find the average charge between x and x + dx, then. I would expect it to be the charge of the particle times the probability of finding the particle in that region, on average, right? Well, in that case we can interpret the square of the wave function as being the way that a fake charge is "distributed" through space.

box said:
[...] One problem I have is when there are two protons and one electron who's amplitude is evenly spread on both protons. It seems to me that if the charge density is the square of the amplitude the charge of the electron should be split between both protons and they should feel a repulsive force because each proton is only half shielded. But I was told here and in the Feynman Lectures in physics that they don't repel for this reason because one proton is shielded (or screened). [...]

If you are talking about an ionized hydrogen molecule (H2+), the electron's charge density is mostly between the two protons. You could think of the system as three point charges along a line:

(H+)===(e-)===(H+)

From each proton's perspective, the electron is closer than the other proton, so the electron's attractive force is stronger than the other proton's repulsive force.

1. What is charge density?

Charge density is a measure of the amount of electric charge per unit volume at a given point in space.

2. How is charge density calculated?

Charge density is calculated by dividing the total electric charge in a given volume by the volume of that region.

3. What does it mean for charge density to be the amplitude squared?

In terms of quantum mechanics, charge density being the amplitude squared refers to the mathematical representation of the probability of finding an electric charge at a specific point in space. The square of the amplitude of the wave function gives the probability density, which is directly related to charge density.

4. Why is it important to understand charge density?

Understanding charge density is important in many areas of physics, including electrostatics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It helps us understand the behavior of electric fields and how charges interact with each other.

5. How does charge density affect the properties of matter?

Charge density is a fundamental property of matter that determines its electrical properties, such as conductivity and polarizability. It also plays a role in determining the structure and stability of atoms and molecules.