How can I use an op-amp to increase voltage and current output from a 555 timer?

• Thread starter soupnatizzle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Op-amp
In summary, the person is new to working with a 555 timer and is trying to create a squarewave frequency of 20-80khz with a 1vpp output. They are looking to increase the voltage and current using an op-amp and a transistor in an emitter follower configuration. However, it is clarified that a 555 timer is not an op-amp and is actually a timer chip with an output on pin 3. A calculator and diagram of the pinout can be found on a website provided.
soupnatizzle
i am new to most of this so my confusion is basic. here is my problem.

I am using a 555 timer to create a squarewave frequency of between 20-80khz

BUT the output is 1vpp. i am using this to drive a motor and need to up the voltage and current. i know what i need to use i just can't for the life of me figure out how to set up the op-amp to get say 5v's or so.

after the opamp i plan to use a transistor in an emitter follower configuration to drive the motor

Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but are you calling a 555 an opamp?

It isn't. A 555 is a timer chip and it produces an output on pin 3 of something close to its supply voltage. if you had a 5 volt supply, you should be getting pulses varying from almost zero volts to almost 4.5 volts positive.

See this site for a nice calculator, but also a diagram of the pinout of the 555.
http://freespace.virgin.net/matt.waite/resource/handy/pinouts/555/index.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an op-amp and how does it work?

An op-amp, or operational amplifier, is a type of electronic component that amplifies the difference between two input signals. It has a high gain, meaning it can amplify even small differences in input voltages. It is typically used in circuits for signal processing and amplification.

2. Why am I having trouble using a 741 op-amp?

There could be several reasons for trouble using a 741 op-amp. Some common issues include incorrect wiring, incorrect power supply connections, or using the op-amp outside of its recommended operating conditions. It is important to carefully refer to the datasheet and double-check your circuit to troubleshoot the issue.

3. What are the common applications of a 741 op-amp?

The 741 op-amp is commonly used in a variety of electronic circuits, including audio amplifiers, signal filters, and voltage regulators. It is also frequently used in feedback control systems and as a comparator in electronic instrumentation.

4. How do I choose the right 741 op-amp for my circuit?

When selecting a 741 op-amp for your circuit, it is important to consider factors such as input voltage range, input impedance, output voltage swing, and bandwidth. It is also important to ensure that the op-amp you choose can handle the desired circuit application and operating conditions.

5. Can I use a 741 op-amp in place of a different op-amp?

In some cases, a 741 op-amp can be used as a substitute for a different op-amp. However, it is important to note that different op-amps have different specifications and may not always be interchangeable. It is best to consult the datasheet and carefully compare specifications before using a 741 op-amp as a replacement for a different op-amp.