Understanding 3D Diagrams for Solving Angle Problems

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving visualizing a 30 degree angle in between two planes. The answer key presents the angle as relative to the plane of rotation, which may be confusing to some. The original 3D drawing is clear, but the answer key drawing may be hard to interpret. The issue may be with the answer key or the individual's interpretation of it.
lc99

Homework Statement

upload_2018-3-27_0-17-15.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am having trouble visualizing the 30 degree angle? How would i know that it is in between 2 planes and not just 1 plane. I thought it would be in the x/y plane. In cases like this where they should you the angle (arrow) to where a object is turning confuses me. I need help figuring out the direction of these angles.

The answer key has it this way: Which was unlikely what i would visualize it...
upload_2018-3-27_0-18-51.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-27_0-17-15.png
    upload_2018-3-27_0-17-15.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 721
  • upload_2018-3-27_0-18-51.png
    upload_2018-3-27_0-18-51.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 372
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
SInce there is only one angle given, 30°, it must be a two-dimensional orientation. If it involved three dimensions, an additional angle would have to be specified,

p.s. I agree the visual depiction is confusing, poorly drawn.

Since the handle rotates in a plane parallel to the x-z plane, it seems pretty obvious to me that the angle is relative to the plane of rotation of the handle. The handle's position is 30° clockwise from horizontal. The drawing wouldn't make any sense if the angle were interpreted as being a horizontal angle. IMO the only thing wrong with the drawing is that the horizontal ray that indicates the angle measure isn't quite parallel to the x-axis. Other than that, the drawing seems pretty clear to me.

The original 3D drawing seems easy enough to interpret. The answer key sketch seems harder. I suspect the problem is with the answer key or your interpretation of it.

Perhaps post the whole problem as written?

Mark44 said:
IMO the only thing wrong with the drawing is that the horizontal ray that indicates the angle measure isn't quite parallel to the x-axis
Optical illusion.

1. What is a 3D diagram?

A 3D diagram is a graphical representation of an object or concept in three dimensions, using height, width, and depth to show the object's spatial relationship.

2. What are some common challenges when working with 3D diagrams?

Some common challenges when working with 3D diagrams include accurately representing the proportions and angles of the object, ensuring all parts are visible and understandable, and maintaining a clear and cohesive visual hierarchy.

3. How can I create a 3D diagram?

There are various software programs, such as AutoCAD, SketchUp, and Blender, that can be used to create 3D diagrams. These programs allow you to create and manipulate 3D objects, add textures and colors, and adjust lighting to create a realistic and accurate representation.

4. What are some tips for effectively using 3D diagrams in presentations or reports?

When using 3D diagrams in presentations or reports, it is important to keep the design simple and easy to understand, use appropriate colors and shading to enhance the visual appeal, and provide clear labels and annotations to guide the viewer's understanding.

5. How can 3D diagrams be beneficial in scientific research?

3D diagrams can be beneficial in scientific research by providing a visual representation of complex data or concepts, allowing for a better understanding and analysis of the subject matter. They can also aid in communication and collaboration among researchers and help to identify patterns and relationships within the data.