1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trouble with a basic Force problem

1. Feb 20, 2006 #1
    Alright, this is the problem:

Three astronauts, propelled by jet backpacks, push and guide a 120 kg asteroid toward a processing dock, exerting the forces shown in Fig. 5-31, with F1 = 31 N, F2 = 34 N, F3 = 27 N, angle 1 = 27°, and angle 3 = 52°. What is the asteroid's acceleration (a) in unit-vector notation and as (b) a magnitude and (c) a direction relative to the positive direction of the x axis?

I'm trying to understand how to apply Fnet = ma here.

I tried getting the components for the magnitudes 31, 34, and 27, then dividing the net components for x and y by the mass, but that doesn't give the correct answer. What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2006 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Give your results.

You must find the x and y components of the three forces, [tex] F_{1x}, F_{1y}, etc[/tex] and then use [tex] a_x= {F_{1x} +F_{2x} +F_{3x} \over 2} [/tex] and the same for the y direction.

Pat

4. Feb 20, 2006 #3
    My results are 14.1i + 27.6j for F1, 34j for F2, and 21.3i + 16.6j for F3.

5. Feb 20, 2006 #4
    However, 35.4/2 does not give a correct answer for the horizontal component of a..

6. Feb 20, 2006 #5
    Would it be possible to be linked to an example problem involving this sort of thing? My textbook does not do a very good job of this.

7. Feb 20, 2006 #6

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

?? Don't you mean 35.4/120?
    (the mass of the asteroid is 120 kg, right?)

Your components are right, assuming that the ansgles are given clockwise with respect to the vertical direction...

8. Feb 20, 2006 #7
    Sorry, my mistake. Dividing 35.4/120 does not give the correct answer for some reason.

9. Feb 20, 2006 #8

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And you are sure that all the angles are measured clockwise from the y axis? Also, the second force is in the positive y direction, right?

can you post the answers for a_x and a_y they give, maybe I will be able to see what they did.

10. Feb 20, 2006 #9
    Figured it out. The angles were not entirely right. It's my fault since the problem comes with a diagram, and after observing the 3 vectors, pretty much the problem was that the 52 degree angle is negative since it's in the 4th quadrant in the picture. Thanks for your help nrged.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?