Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trouble with an integral

1. Jul 31, 2007 #1
    I have a book that has the following integral:

[tex]6\int_\frac{-1}{2}^\frac{1}{2}\int_\frac{-1}{2}^\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{r^2}a_r\cdot a_z dx dy[/tex]

This integral gets converted to:

[tex]3\int_\frac{-1}{2}^\frac{1}{2}\int_\frac{-1}{2}^\frac{1}{2}\frac{dx dy}{(x^2 + y^2 + 1/4)^\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]

(z = 1/2 by the way...)

I understand how it got to that point, but I'm having trouble understanding how it gets to this integral, I guess I don't understand the integration involved:

[tex]3\int_\frac{-1}{2}^\frac{1}{2}(\frac{x}{(y^2 + \frac{1}{4})(x^2 + y^2 + 1/4)^\frac{1}{2}})\|_\frac{-1}{2}^\frac{1}{2}dy[/tex]

can someone explain how it gets to there?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you don't tell us what ar and az are, I don't see how anyone can help you!

4. Jul 31, 2007 #3
    oh, they are vectors, but they are not part of the problem. I understand how it goes from the first integral to the second integral, I'm having a problem figuring out how it goes from the second to the third integral here. The vectors have already been used up there.

5. Jul 31, 2007 #4
    They're just doing the x-integration first. So they solve

[tex]\int_{-1/2}^{1/2}\frac{dx}{(y^2+x^2+1/4)^{3/2}}[/tex]

treating y as a parameter. This is a pretty standard integral, and its solution is in brackets in your last expression. Note that

[tex]f(x)||_{-1/2}^{1/2}[/tex] means [tex]f(1/2)-f(-1/2)[/tex]

so that your quantity in brackets is actually a sum of two terms, one with x=1/2 and the other with x=-1/2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?