Fix Computer Issues: Troubleshooting Tips

• Thread starter En_lizard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the individual's computer has been turning on automatically when the phone rings, potentially due to a problem with the modem. They also mention having to restart the computer multiple times and experiencing slow speed, despite having an antivirus program installed. The suggested solutions are to turn off auto-answer in the modem's Control Panel and to update the antivirus software.
En_lizard
recently my computer turns on automatically when the phone rings! so i think the problem is occurred by modem, so what should i do?
and i have to restart it 2 or 3 times when i want to turn it off? and the speed of the computer's become very slow? allthough i had installed a antivirus(norton)?:cry:

Computer science news on Phys.org
1) Go into your PC's Control Panel menu for your modem or fax software, and turn off auto-answer.

2) Definitely update your anti-virus software -- Slower computer speed is typical of a recent virus that is a real pain to remove (speaking as a parent of a couple of young teens who are not as careful as they should be when on the net with our home computers...)

thank you!

1. How do I fix a slow computer?

There are several potential reasons for a slow computer, such as a lack of storage space, too many background programs running, or outdated hardware. To fix a slow computer, try deleting unused files, closing unnecessary programs, and updating your hardware drivers.

2. Why is my computer freezing or crashing?

A computer can freeze or crash for various reasons, including a lack of memory, a corrupted operating system, or a hardware issue. To troubleshoot this issue, try closing any unnecessary programs, running a virus scan, and updating your operating system.

3. How do I fix a computer that won't turn on?

If your computer won't turn on, it could be due to a faulty power source, a disconnected cable, or a damaged hardware component. First, make sure the power source is working and all cables are securely connected. If the problem persists, it may be a hardware issue that requires professional repair.

4. What should I do if my computer is infected with a virus?

If you suspect your computer has a virus, the first step is to run a virus scan using reliable antivirus software. If the scan detects a virus, follow the software's instructions to remove it. Additionally, make sure to regularly update your antivirus software and be cautious when downloading files from unknown sources.

5. How do I troubleshoot hardware issues on my computer?

To troubleshoot hardware issues, start by checking all cables and connections to ensure they are secure. If the issue persists, try updating your hardware drivers and running diagnostic tests. If these steps do not resolve the issue, it may be necessary to replace the faulty hardware component.