1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trouble with integral

1. Jul 3, 2006 #1
    Hi, Ive been having trouble with this one its probly easy, but I cant get started.

[tex]\int sinxcos(cosx)[/tex]

I tried integrating by parts,

du=-sin(cosx)(-sinx)......is this even right?
    but it looks as if doing that made it alot harder, can anyone point me in the right direction?thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did you try a substitution?
  4. Jul 3, 2006 #3
    [tex]-\int cosu du[/tex]
    [tex]=-sin u[/tex]

I pray this is wrong because if it isnt i'm retarted
  5. Jul 3, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's it. (plus a constant, +C)
  6. Jul 3, 2006 #5
    I have another question which isnt explained in the text, when trying to find out A B and C in a partial fraction integral, how do you do it, I read online somewhere about gaussian elimination, it wasnt well explained though, is this how, or is there another way, can you explain?

7. Jul 3, 2006 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Gaussian elimination???

I assume that by "A B and C in a partial fraction integral" you mean, for example, the A, B, C is
    [tex]\frac{1}{(x-1)(x-2)(x-3)= \frac{A}{x-1}+ \frac{B}{x-2}+ \frac{C}{x-2}[/tex]

Multiply the entire equation by the denominator (x-1)(x-2)(x-3) and you get
    [tex]1= A(x-2)(x-3)+ B(x-1)(x-2)+ C(x-1)(x-2)[/tex]

Now let x= 1, 2, 3 in succession and A, B, C fall out. If you denominators are (x-a)2 or x2+ 1 you might need to let x equal other numbers to get additional equations to solve.
  8. Jul 3, 2006 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's more than one way to approach it. An example:

The denominator is distinct linear factors, so we know we will have:

for some A and B. this becomes:

Next equate the numerators:

the 'placeholder' 0x is so you see the linear term is zero on the left.

Equating coefficients you now have a system of 2 equations and 2 variables:

Gaussian elimination is a general method for solving linear systems like this, but you can use whatever you like. Here, A=-B from the first equation, then the second becomes 1=2*A, so A=1/2 and B=-1/2.

Rather than collect terms when you combined the fractions on the right hand side above, you could equate the numerators as:

and sub in some convenient values for x. x=1 gives 1=A*(2)+B*(0) so A=1/2. x=-1 gives 1=A*(0)+B*(-2), so B=-1/2.
  9. Jul 3, 2006 #8
    i understand what you are saying..heres what im trying to figure out...

10. Jul 3, 2006 #9

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well you can use the first equation to write B in terms of A, giving B=1-A.

Substitute this value of B into the 2nd and 3rd equations and you now have 2 equations with 2 unknowns (A and C). Solve either equation for either A or C and substitute into the remaining equation and you'll have one of the variables. Can you see how to do this and where to go from here?
  11. Jul 3, 2006 #10
    yea i think im getting it...Il see if i can get an answer!
  12. Jul 3, 2006 #11
    ok, that wasnt too tough, i think i got it
  13. Jul 3, 2006 #12
    one final question..if i have [tex] \frac{x^3}{(x+3)^3}[/tex]..would it be this...[tex]\frac{A}{x+3} + \frac{B}{(x+3)^2} + \frac {C}{(x+3)^3}[/tex]..or would i have A B C and D...[tex]\frac{A}{1} + \frac{B}{x+3}[/tex]and so on?
  14. Jul 3, 2006 #13

Science Advisor

In that case you have to do polynomial division first to get the numerator in lower terms than the denominator, and then it's the 3 term decomposition.
  15. Jul 3, 2006 #14
    oooooone more..heres my question..[tex]\int ln(x^2-1)dx[/tex]..i let..
    so....i kept going and got [tex]ln(x^2-1)x - \int \frac{2x^2}{x^2-1}dx[/tex]..would this partial fraction be A/x+1 +(B/x-1)?if so im confused because i get A+B=0 and A-B=0
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  16. Jul 3, 2006 #15
    If u is ln(x^2+1) then du is definitely not 2x. What is the derivative of the natural log?
  17. Jul 3, 2006 #16
    yeah my bad..i meant to say [tex]2x \frac{1}{x^2-1}[/tex]
  18. Jul 3, 2006 #17
    Before you try decomposing into partial fractions you should divide 2x2 by x2-1 and that should give you something pluse a linear term over x2-1.
  19. Jul 3, 2006 #18
    good thinkin, I thinkI got it, THanks leet
  20. Jul 3, 2006 #19
    Your welcome, glad I could help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?