1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trouble with Proof of Optimal Launch Angle

1. Jan 22, 2004 #1
    Here is my problem, can anyone help me out?

Prove the maximum range of a skier going down a ski jump is given by
    (theta) = 45degrees - phi/2 , where theta = optimal launch angle , phi = slope angle of take off with respect to the incline of the hill.

I have the following equations to use

Xf = Vi*cos(theta)*t = d*cos(phi)
    Yf = Vi*sin(theta)*t - (1/2)g*t^2 = -d*sin(phi)

Where, Xf= final x component, Yf= final y component, Vi = velocity at launch, t= time jumper is in air, g= grav. constant, d = distance travelled along the inlcine of the hill

I am trying to eliminate t in the above equations and then differentiate to maximize d in terms of theta.

Any ideas how to do this? What is a good first step? Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2004 #2
    minor correction

phi = angle the hill makes with the horizontal
  4. Jan 22, 2004 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

WARNING: This post contains technical errors, but it should still be instructive.

If you treat this as a system of a parabola and a line, you get the equations:
    The slope:
    the skiers' path:
    Substitution yields
    Which can obviously be simplified to:

Now, you need to find [tex]m,k, \mbox{and } l[/tex].

[tex]m[/tex] should be pretty straightforward to get.

To find [tex]k[/tex] and [tex]l[/tex] you need to realize that the skier reaches his peak when [tex]x-k=0[/tex] so [tex]k[/tex] and [tex]l[/tex] are the horizontal and vertical distances to the *top* of the skiers jump - which you should be able to find easily.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?