Improving Mathematical Proof Writing: Tips and Strategies for Physics Majors

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of proving mathematical concepts in a rigorous manner. The speaker, a physics major, is struggling with formulating proofs in a math methods course and shares an example of a proof they are having difficulty with. They also mention their classmates' abilities in this area and express a desire to improve. The expert summarizer shares their approach to tackling proofs and emphasizes the importance of a logically consistent argument over using technical symbols or minimizing words. They encourage breaking down the problem into cases and utilizing all known information to build a convincing proof. They also remind the speaker not to be afraid of using words in their proofs.
lubuntu
Looking for a little advice regarding proving things in mathematical way. I am a physics major currently taking a math methods course where we are asked to prove things, basically for the time in my schooling career.

Sometimes I have trouble formulating a mathematically rigorous way of putting a proof even if I seem to understand the concept and can explain it in words. To demonstrate what I mean here is an example:

Let f(x) and g(x) be two continuous function on x in [a,b] then prove:

max[ f(x) on [a,b] ] + max[ g(x) on [a,b]] >= max[ [f(x)+g(x)] on [a,b]]

Now I can easily describe in words why this is true, because unless the maximum of f and g coincide the maximum of their sum will be less then the sum of the individual maxima That is either f or g will be smaller than its true maximum in the sum. But I don't really know how to start formulating a nice pretty way of showing it that will satisfy a mathematician.

This is just one example but I tend to go into these sorts of writing arguments a lot on my homework and am worried it is not going to past muster. I'm sure my classmates have a much better grasp on it though so i think I am doing ok in the class, but I'd still like to get better.

Physics news on Phys.org
THere is no set way to do proofs. Some people write very tidy proofs that are hard for undergrads to follow, but are very efficient in their use of words and expressions.

I personally like to be very wordy and explicit. Using words is NOT A BAD THING in proofs. Its the logic behind your argument that counts.

Usually in rigorous math classes, there is no pre-designed formula for working proofs. You should not also expect to be able to SEE THE PROOF or the way to prove right away; sometimes you do know right away what you need to do, but often you really don't see it.

Having said that, here's what I usually do when the road to a proof is not obvious:

1. Write down every thing I "know" about my structures (by "know" I mean everything that I know through definitions, theorems, propositions, axioms, etc). What do I know about continuous functions? What do I know about adding them over an interval? what do I know about max[]?

2. Write down what it is I am actually trying to prove. What do I have to show in order for my end result to be true? If max [f] + max [g] >= max[f+g], then what else must be true? If that's true what else has to be true, etc etc etc

3. Break your problem down into cases. Suppose max [f] = max [g] what then? What about if max[f] > max [g]?

Chances are once you start thinking your problem in this way, you will probably be able to piece together a good proof.

Again, let me remind you that a "pretty way of showing it that will satisfy a mathematician' is not about using a lot of "cool looking greek symbols" and its not about "using less words" its about having a logically consistent argument built off theorems, props, axioms, definitions, etc. Sometime I prove things and the answer looks more like an essay than a math problem; don't be afraid to use plenty of words.

hitmeoff said:
THere is no set way to do proofs. Some people write very tidy proofs that are hard for undergrads to follow, but are very efficient in their use of words and expressions.

I personally like to be very wordy and explicit. Using words is NOT A BAD THING in proofs. Its the logic behind your argument that counts.

Usually in rigorous math classes, there is no pre-designed formula for working proofs. You should not also expect to be able to SEE THE PROOF or the way to prove right away; sometimes you do know right away what you need to do, but often you really don't see it.

Having said that, here's what I usually do when the road to a proof is not obvious:

1. Write down every thing I "know" about my structures (by "know" I mean everything that I know through definitions, theorems, propositions, axioms, etc). What do I know about continuous functions? What do I know about adding them over an interval? what do I know about max[]?

2. Write down what it is I am actually trying to prove. What do I have to show in order for my end result to be true? If max [f] + max [g] >= max[f+g], then what else must be true? If that's true what else has to be true, etc etc etc

3. Break your problem down into cases. Suppose max [f] = max [g] what then? What about if max[f] > max [g]?

Chances are once you start thinking your problem in this way, you will probably be able to piece together a good proof.

Again, let me remind you that a "pretty way of showing it that will satisfy a mathematician' is not about using a lot of "cool looking greek symbols" and its not about "using less words" its about having a logically consistent argument built off theorems, props, axioms, definitions, etc. Sometime I prove things and the answer looks more like an essay than a math problem; don't be afraid to use plenty of words.

Thanks that was a very helpful response.

1. Why is it important to use rigorous proofs in scientific research?

Rigorous proofs are essential in scientific research because they provide a logical and systematic way to validate theories and hypotheses. They allow for the identification of any flaws in the reasoning or methodology used, and ensure that the results are valid and reliable.

2. What are the common challenges faced when constructing rigorous proofs?

The most common challenges in constructing rigorous proofs include identifying and addressing any assumptions or biases, ensuring the validity and accuracy of data, and accurately representing the complexity of real-world phenomena.

3. How can one improve their ability to create rigorous proofs?

To improve one's ability to create rigorous proofs, it is important to practice and develop critical thinking skills, seek feedback and constructive criticism from peers and mentors, and continuously expand one's knowledge and understanding of relevant concepts and methodologies.

4. Can rigorous proofs be used in all fields of science?

Yes, rigorous proofs can be used in all fields of science, as they provide a universal standard for validating and supporting scientific theories and hypotheses. However, the specific methods and techniques used may vary depending on the field and the nature of the research being conducted.

5. What are the potential consequences of not using rigorous proofs in scientific research?

Not using rigorous proofs in scientific research can lead to incorrect conclusions, unreliable data, and false claims. This can have serious consequences, such as misleading the public, wasting resources, and hindering scientific progress. It can also damage the credibility of the scientific community and undermine the trust in scientific findings.