What Are Quantum Numbers and Spin in Physics?

• Thread starter chmate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary, the conversation was about a student struggling to understand the terms "spin" and "quantic number" in the Rutherford model of an atom. They tried searching for help online but found more confusing terms. Another participant suggested looking at specific websites and clarified that "quantic number" may actually refer to "quantum magnetic number". The conversation ended with a request for a basic explanation and example.
chmate
Hi there! My physics teacher explained us a Ratherford model of atom and used some terms like "spin" and "quantic number". I'm havin trouble with these terms and maybe anybody can explain me the function of "quantic number" and spinnig and give me a basic example.

I just visited some web sites searching for help, but they have more new terms and i can't understand.

Thank you and sorry for my english.

Physics news on Phys.org
Spin is magnet in atom - not 2. This no good when polarised.

Last edited:
Hi QuantumBend! I don't understand you. You didn't give a good explanation. Can somebody help me to understand these two terms and give me some basic example?

Thank you.

Maybe you can show us the website and say what terms you have trouble with.

'quantic number', maybe you mean "quantum magnetic number"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_(physics )
(the first sections)

and this one:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/spin.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are some common terms that may cause trouble for scientists?

Some common terms that may cause trouble for scientists include jargon, technical language, and abbreviations specific to a certain field of study.

2. How can scientists avoid misunderstandings related to terms?

Scientists can avoid misunderstandings related to terms by clearly defining and explaining any new or unfamiliar terms when communicating their research, and by using commonly accepted definitions in their field.

3. What should scientists do if they encounter conflicting definitions for a term?

If scientists encounter conflicting definitions for a term, they should consult multiple sources and discuss with colleagues in their field to determine the most widely accepted definition.

4. Are there any resources available to help scientists with understanding and using terms?

Yes, there are various resources available to help scientists with understanding and using terms, such as textbooks, scientific journals, and online databases. Additionally, many scientific organizations and societies offer resources and guidelines for using terms in a standardized and clear manner.

5. How can scientists ensure that their use of terms is accurate and up-to-date?

Scientists can ensure the accuracy and currency of their use of terms by staying current with the latest research and developments in their field, regularly checking and updating their sources, and seeking clarification or feedback from colleagues and experts when needed.