1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trouble with the constant G

1. May 8, 2010 #1
    I learned about G (the gravitational constant) a while ago, but ever since then it was bugging me. I did not like how a seemingly random, irrational number whose existence could not be explained existed. Then I started thinking about this: if we arbitrarily changed the definition of a meter to, for example, slightly more than what a meter currently is, then wouldn't G have to change as well? So now I started thinking that if we changed the definitions of kilograms and meters, then eventually G would be 1N meter squared per kilogram squared, and its existence would be explained by the need to change the units into Newtons. Is there a flaw in my logic?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2010 #2
    hopefully my post wasn't too vague.
  4. May 8, 2010 #3

Staff: Mentor

That is a good way to look at it. In relativity we often use units where G and c both equal 1. It then becomes clear that the value of these constants only tells us about our choice of units and not about physics.
  5. May 8, 2010 #4
    Here's another way of looking at it. Originally posted in this thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=398900
  6. May 8, 2010 #5
    You might be interested in this article on Planck units, a system which extends the idea to other quantities:

7. May 8, 2010 #6

Staff: Mentor

No, you seem to understand fine...

...but it seems to trouble you that a physical constant would be such a slave to its units. It shouldn't. Consider your own height: whether you measure it in meters or feet, it doesn't change how tall you are.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook