Trouble with the following limit

• Thread starter devious_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the book says that the answer is \frac{k}{u}, but when substitution k/(2^n un)=sin(x) is done, arcsin(x)\approx{x} is found. So, using these two pieces of information, it appears that the book was right after all.
devious_
I'm having trouble with the following limit:
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} 2^n \arcsin \frac{k}{2^n u_{n}} \text{, where \emph{k} is constant.}[/tex]

I'm given that [itex]\lim u_{n} = u[/itex], where u is constant.

Apparently the book says the answer is [itex]\frac{k}{u}[/itex], but I can't figure out why.

Physics news on Phys.org
Le Hopital's rules works well.
so does the substitution k/(2^n un)=sin(x)
if you have
lim x->0 sin(x)/x=1 as a known limit

Ok:
1. We have that [tex]arcsin(x)\approx{x},|x|<<1[/tex],
that is, when x is close to 0, arcsine is practically equal to x.
If you are unsure about it, remember that the SINE function sin(x) is practically equal to x when x is close to 0 (measured in radians, that is).
But:
Since arcsine is the inverse of sine we have:
[tex]arcsin(\sin(x))=x[/tex]
by definition of the inverse.
For SMALL x's, we may replace sin(x) with x, and gets:
[tex]arcsin(x)\approx{x}[/tex]
which is what we claimed..

2. Now, you should be able to do the rest..

Last edited:
arildno said:
Ok:
1. We have that [tex]arcsin(x)\approx{x},|x|<<1[/tex],
that is, when x is close to 0, arcsine is practically equal to x.
If you are unsure about it, remember that the SINE function sin(x) is practically equal to x when x is close to 0 (measured in radians, that is).
But:
Since arcsine is the inverse of sine we have:
[tex]arcsin(\sin(x))=x[/tex]
by definition of the inverse.
For SMALL x's, we may replace sin(x) with x, and gets:
[tex]arcsin(x)\approx{x}[/tex]
which is what we claimed..

2. Now, you should be able to do the rest..

That works, but it is important to recall
Arcsin(x)=x+O(x^3)
lest one get confused when confronted with something like
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin^{-1}(x)-\sin(x)}{x^3}=\frac{1}{3}[/tex]

lurflurf said:
That works, but it is important to recall
Arcsin(x)=x+O(x^3)
lest one get confused when confronted with something like
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin^{-1}(x)-\sin(x)}{x^3}=\frac{1}{3}[/tex]
Since it worked (hooray! it worked!), I didn't see any reason why I should load upon OP more than he needed.

And, if we are in need of the higher-order terms of arcsine, we can readily find them by inverting the power series of sine by the method of successive substitutions (or compute that Taylor series of arcsine otherwise, or look it up in a ready-made formula book etc.).

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I was so determined that the book was wrong that I refused to think about this clearly. :)

What is a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. It is used to determine the value that a function approaches as its input gets closer and closer to a specific value.

What does it mean to have "trouble" with a limit?

Trouble with a limit typically refers to difficulty in evaluating the limit or understanding its behavior. This could be due to the function being undefined at the limit value, or the limit approaching different values from the left and right sides.

What are the different types of limits?

The three main types of limits are one-sided limits, where the function is approached from only one direction, two-sided limits, where the function is approached from both directions, and infinite limits, where the function approaches positive or negative infinity at the limit value.

What are some common techniques for evaluating limits?

Some common techniques for evaluating limits include direct substitution, factoring, using algebraic manipulation, and applying theorems such as the Squeeze Theorem or L'Hopital's Rule.

Why are limits important in mathematics and science?

Limits are important in mathematics and science because they allow us to analyze and understand the behavior of functions, which are used to model real-world phenomena. They also serve as a foundation for more advanced concepts in calculus and are essential in solving problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.