1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Troubled with Definition

1. May 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For sets A and B, the Cartesianproduct A x B is
    {<a,b>: a [tex]\in[/tex] A and b [tex]\in[/tex] B}. A subset f of A x B is said to be a function from A to B (in symbols,f: A->B) just in case, for each element a of A there is exactly one element b of B with <a, b> [tex]\in[/tex] f:

Given B be the set {a,b}

and

There are four functions from B to B, namely:
    {<a,a>, <b,a>}
    {<a,a>, <b,b>}
    {<a,b>, <b,a>}
    {<a,b>, <b,b>}

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

by definition, i know how BxB

but i don understand B->B how to get that 4 function?
    {<a,a>, <b,a>} meaning two output? or <a,a> is input, and <b,a> the output? or that is the subset of BxB?

this bring me to next question

"A subset f of A x B" or let make it simpler "A subset M of N" is this mean N is the subset of M?

help me clear my confusion

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi annoymage! :smile:
    Let's call those four subsets f g h and i.

Then f = {<a,a>, <b,a>} is a subset of AxB and is the function such that f(a) = a, f(b) = a.
    Yes, every function is a subset of the Cartesian product of its range and domain spaces.

4. May 16, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since B contains only two members, a and b, and a "function from B" must have each of those exactly once, any function from B to another set can have only two members: <a, > and <b, >. Now, fill in those blank spots with elements of the other set. Since her the "target set" is also B, we have two things, a and b, we can put into those blank spots. since we can choose either a or b for each of those two blank spots, there are [math]2^2= 4[/math] choices:
    1) a, a
    2) a, b
    3) b, a
    4) b, b.

That gives the 4 possible functions: {<a, a>, <b, a>}, {<a, a>, <b, a>}, {<a, b>, <b, a>}, and {<a, b>, <b, b>}.

5. May 16, 2010 #4
    i'm still trying to understand what HallsofIvy trying to say, sorry but im no good in english ;P.

anyway, maybe i understand tiny-tim, ok, check my understanding

if B={a,b}
    C={c,d}

possible fucntion of B->C are:

{<a,c>,<b,c>} is a subset of BxC and is the function such that f(a)=c , f(b)=c
    {<a,d>,<b,d>} is a subset of BxC and is the function such that f(a)=d , f(b)=d
    {<a,c>,<b,d>} is a subset of BxC and is the function such that f(a)=c , f(b)=d
    {<a,d>,<b,c>} is a subset of BxC and is the function such that f(a)=d , f(b)=c

and now suddenly i get what HallsofIvy saying

but now, this bothers me instead

M={<a,c>,<b,c>} is a subset of BxC and is the function such that f(a)=c , f(b)=c

is it f(B)=c, B={a,b}???

if it is, what about

{<a,c>,<b,d>} is a subset of BxC and is the function such that f(a)=c , f(b)=d

is it

f(B)={ c , B=a
    d , B=b }

(pice wise function)

is it correct? sorry if i over-complicating things

6. May 17, 2010 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Be careful here. f is defined on members of b, not B itself. We can give a separate definition: If f is a function from A to B and C is a subset of A, rather than a member of A, f(C) is defined as the set [itex]\{y | y= f(x)\}[/itex] for some x in A.
    Since B contains a and b and both f(a)= c and f(b)= c, f(B)= {c}. That is, f(B) is NOT "c", it is the set containing only c.

If f(a)= c and f(b)= d then f(B)= f({a, b))= {c, d}.

Again, you have to distinguish between a function, defined on a set, applied to elements of that set and to subsets of that set.

If we are looking at sets of numbers, and [itex]f(x)= x^2[/itex], then f([-2, 2])= [0, 4] because any number in the interval from -1 to 1, squared, gives a number from 0 to 4.

7. May 17, 2010 #6
    understood, thank you thank you very much

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook